Tweddle is an early parenting service which is based in Footscray Victoria. Its rather unusual name came from the founder, Joseph Tweddle who in 1920 funded the original hospital for mothers and babies. Tweddle has a range of service which are designed to support parents and families to care for their young children. Tweddle caters for the age range from birth to four years and focuses on practical skill development and supporting parents in building confidence within their parenting roles.
Tweddle staff are trained professionals and provide a multi disciplinary approach. They include Maternal and Child Health Nurse, Social Workers psychologists, paediatricians and lactation consultants.
Services Provided by Tweddle:
- Breastfeeding Support Programmes are available at Broadmeadows and Brimbank. The service is designed to support mothers with babies to the age of six months. Home visits, education and referral to other community support groups are provided. The service is offered by a lactation consultant with expertise in breastfeeding management. This is a free service to parents to parents with a Medicare card.
- Day Stay Programmes are available at six different locations around the state.
1.Corangamite supports families with children to the age of one year.
2.Craigieburn is open one day a week and offers support for children up to one year.
3.Maribyrnong is open three days per week and alternate Sundays. It offers support for families with children aged up to four years.
4.Melton is open two days per week and provides support for babies up to twelve months.
5.Raphael Centre is in Geelong_, is open one day per week and caters for children to twelve months.
6._Wyndham is open one day per week and provides support for children aged to twelve months.
- Residential Programmes are designed to offer more intensive support on a live-in basis for two to four days. The centre is located in Footscray. There is no cost for this service for parents who have a Medicare card. Parents are asked to pay a small fee each day towards the cost of a nappy disposal service if they are using disposables.
- Prison Programme delivers services to Dame Phyllis Frost Centre for Women, Melbourne Assessment Prison for Men, Port Phillip Correctional Centre and an education service designed for parents in custody. This is a free service.
- Psychologist Service is located at The Residential Centre in Footscray and is conducted as an outpatient service. It supports parents with children up to four years of age.
- Social Support Service is available to women who are experiencing domestic violence, substance abuse issues or financial problem. This service caters for families who are already staying at Tweddle. This is a free service.
- Tweddle @ Home is a fee based home visiting service for parents who pay a charge. Qualified Maternal and Child Health Nurses come to the family home for a 2.5 hour visit and support families with feeding, sleep, behaviour and general parenting issues. Response is usually within 2-3 days of initial contact. The cost is $335.00 for a package which includes home visit, an educational resource and follow-up telephone call.
N.B. Tweddle does not provide a telephone advisory service. They suggest parents ring their local Maternal and Child Health Nurse, or community nurse for advice. Alternatively The Maternal and Child Health Advisory Line is available 24 hrs/day 7 days/week on 13 22 29 or The Parent Advisory Line on 13 22 89 which is open 8am-12 pm on weekdays and 10am-10pm on weekends.
Contact Details for Tweddle Services:
Tweddle Child + Family Health Service
Telephone: (03) 9689 1577
Tweddle @ Home
Telephone (03) 8387 0658
Tweddle @ Werribee
Telephone (03) 9689 1577
Tweddle @ Craigieburn
Telephone: (03) 8338 3000 or contact your maternal child health nurse for a referral to the program,
(03) 9689 1577
Tweddle @ Melton
Telephone: (03) 9747 7609
Tweddle @ Raphael
Telephone: (03) 52 217 333
Tweddle @ Terang
Telephone :(03) 55 920 284
Settling Techniques Suggested by Tweddle:
There is no one consistent set of settling techniques suggested by Tweddle. Each family is supported to develop their own goals for settling their individual baby. They sell a book titled “Sleep Right Sleep Tight” which also has a video and DVD. Settling strategies are designed to suit the child’s age.
Check www.tweddle.org.au for more information about this service.