Olive and pesto burgers
Keywords: conception, male fertility, female fertility, protein, iron
Give burgers a healthy boost with this fantastic recipe. Ideal for olive lovers and those trying to conceive.
- 500g lean beef mince
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- ½ cup pimento stuffed green olives, chopped
- rocket leaves
- diced avocado
- pimento olives
- spring onion to serve
- Combine the beef mince, water, pesto and olives. Mix lightly, shape into 4 burgers.
- Preheat the barbecue or pan to moderately high. Lightly brush the burgers with oil.
- Add burgers to the barbecue or pan, lower the heat to moderate. Cook for 6-7 minutes each side or until thoroughly cooked. Turn them once only.
- Serve with the rocket and the combined avocado, olives and spring onion.
Tex mex burgers: Add a 35g packet taco seasoning mix and ¼ cup tomato sauce. Serve with shredded lettuce, grated tasty cheese, chopped tomato and jalapeno chillies.
Beef ’n‘ barbecue sauce burgers: Add ¼ cup barbecue sauce, 1 tbsp soy sauce and a good dash of Worcestershire sauce. Serve with slices of beetroot, tomato and avocado.
Teriyaki onion burgers: Add a 35g packet of French onion soup mix and 1 tbsp teriyaki sauce. Serve with sliced barbecued onions, and mixed salad leaves.
Making the beef burgers
500g lean beef mince will make four good-sized burgers.
Use your fingers (clean ones) to mix the mince and flavourings. Don’t overdo it or the burgers will be tough.
How to shape the burgers
Use a light touch to shape into four loosely formed balls. Then flatten each ball top and bottom. Don’t squash them into flattened discs – keep them slightly rounded.
Cooking the burgers
- You can cook the burgers on a barbecue flat-plate or char-grill, or in a frypan.
- Preheat the barbecue or pan before cooking.
- Oil the burgers not the grill or frypan – use a brush or a spray of oil.
- Start the cooking over a moderately high heat, then lower the heat to moderate.
- The burgers will take approximately 6-7 minutes on each side to cook.
- Turn them once only. Ease the spatula under the burger to lift it from the heat, then, carefully turn the burger with tongs.
- Burgers must be cooked through to the centre, insert a skewer into the thickest part, if it’s ready the juices will be clear.
Serve burgers on lightly toasted buns or thick cut bread, grilled pita bread or warm garlic bruschetta.
A favourite sauce, spicy relish or mayonnaise that goes with the flavour of your burger is all the dressing it needs.
Salad can just be two or three ingredients – something for crunch like shredded lettuce or baby lettuce leaves. Add other ingredients on hand like sliced ripe tomatoes, slices of avocado, even beetroot if it’s a favourite.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...