Hey Arisa, we have recently done the whole residency thing too with my DH. If he doesn't get awarded residency he will have to go back to his country too, to reapply sad We're waiting to hear now what is going to happen. I'm pretty confident he will get it, but its damm scary all the same.
Unfortunatly if he doesn't get residency I would stay behind too. Its all well and good for people to say why would you not go too but if you go too you face the exact same problems with immigration just reversed, and only harder because I wouldn't be able to work over there so would be trying to apply to stay longer than the 3 months as a SAHM... hard.
Just a heads up (chances are you already know this but) it actually cost us closer to $2000 to apply as you have to pay for a full medical, chest x ray, bloods, any relevant police records and bridging visa.
Its all such a head ache hey?! Can't imagine how awful it must be for you guys, dealing with your other medical issues as well at the moment. The whole immigration thing is so stressful.
So yeah, I know how you are feeling. What a hard decision. Hopefully your DH comes back well and you both can carry on with your lives. xxx