Huggies Forum

Formula wind... Rss

Morning

can anyone suggest another formula I could try for bub? We are currently using karicare and it was ok, but now he is getting a lot of wind, making him quite hard to settle

also has anyone heard of rubbing castor oil on their bellies and putting a warm washer on top? A girlfriend who is a nanny suggested it

TIA

its hit and miss with formula as one will work for one kid but not another. I use Nan Ha 1, i did for both boys with no problems. How did you go yesterday on your own?

Morning

can anyone suggest another formula I could try for bub? We are currently using karicare and it was ok, but now he is getting a lot of wind, making him quite hard to settle

also has anyone heard of rubbing castor oil on their bellies and putting a warm washer on top? A girlfriend who is a nanny suggested it

TIA

Nan HA is one of the gentlest formula's, that was what the pead recommended to me when we first put the lil man on formula, warm washer will help with wind you'll probably find the castor oil has more to do with the massage/rubbing motion that helps the wind, rub from their right to left in a circular motion and lots of over the shoulder pats on the back etc

I hate wind DS gets it bad. After each feed burp him well. Feed him upright so he has to work for the feed this causes less wind. Baths help settle the wind. Just try these they work for DS.
if you go with nan though dont stress about the green poos, its just from the iron in the formula smile
Before changing his formula I would try:

*Feeding him upright making sure no air is getting in the teat (so make sure there is always milk in the teat and you're not letting air in)

*Rub/Pat his back for a good 10mins or so after the feed to make sure you get up and wind (I would pat DS1 for a good 20minutes to make sure I got it all up) Also, after patting/rubbing his back, lean him back then sit him up again I found this really helped with getting a burp out.

*What teats/bottles are you using? Make sure they are not too fast flow for him- even look at changing- I used Tommee Tippee closer to nature (i think) for DS2.
Hi,

I have used S26 Original with both my boys. My first DS was a very spewey baby but didn't seem to have too much tummy problems from it. I also used Infants Friend in between feeds and that seemed to help a bit.
Hi, I used S26 Gold with both of mine. But make sure you've got the right teats and bottles. I also used the avent bottles which are the anti-colic ones. For your bubs age he should just have the teats with one hole. Also try to burp him really well during and after feeds. smile
NAN for sure!! I would recommend it to anyone, s26 and karicare caused DD lots of grief, the NAN powder just doesnt seem as thick and heavy if that makes sence..Anyway I went from having a baby that screamed bloody murder every few hours to a baby who actually slept soundly for more than an hour!!
Dd1 allways spewed after formula, but I think we thought she was hungry but she wasn't. Dd2 hsn't had formula or even a bottle and was a spewer. I think though she was a much better feeding so was getting lots of milk.

To help with wind I found carrying her around upright for a bit after a feed helped. Also (spew warning) tummy time can help get up the wind up.

Also with mixed feeding allways stay with a slow flow teat. Beacause they have to work harder with bfing it's better it the bottle is the same.

Goodluck.

Before changing his formula I would try:

*Feeding him upright making sure no air is getting in the teat (so make sure there is always milk in the teat and you're not letting air in)

*Rub/Pat his back for a good 10mins or so after the feed to make sure you get up and wind (I would pat DS1 for a good 20minutes to make sure I got it all up) Also, after patting/rubbing his back, lean him back then sit him up again I found this really helped with getting a burp out.

*What teats/bottles are you using? Make sure they are not too fast flow for him- even look at changing- I used Tommee Tippee closer to nature (i think) for DS2.

I agree and also think you should try these things also before changing formulas. With newborns you need to burp several times a feed too, not just once at the end and find a method that works for you and your bub. I used to lay my girls down for 30-60 seconds then gently bring them upright again, a few pats and guaranteed a burp wink You can do this either still holding bub in your arms and lay down in your lap so they are flat or lay them down on the lounge. Can also try rubbing the back from the bottom upwards to help bring up the burp. Bottles and teats can make all the difference too, Avent were no good for either of my girls but tommee tippee were. How tight you screw the lid back on matters too, the tighter its on the harder they have to suck, the looser it is the milk will flow faster.
hmmmm so much to figure out with this whole baby thing lol

we are doing all the burping and massage and rubbing mentioned above and that does work eventually but i can hear his little tummy gurgling and his farts are huge...

Does the iron in NAN cause constipation? And does it come in sachets so we can trial it?

I definitely think the Karicare is causing him issues, poor little fella his face when he has wind is so sad sad

Sign in to follow this topic