Huggies Forum

3 week old has alot of wind Rss

My 3 week old daughter seems to have a lot of wind and it seems to give her a pain in the tummy until she is able to fart.
What can I do to help?
She is bottlefed and is very noisy during her feed and some formula runs out the sides of her mouth as she is feeding so I am guessing she is taking in too much air maybe??? Not sure.
When we are trying to settle her, she seems fast asleep and then she will let out this awful cry all of a sudden and pull her legs up and arch her back and then she settles down within about 20 seconds like nothing happened.
What can I do to help her??? Could it be something to do with the formula she is on? I don't know!
Any help would be appreciated smile
I know I had to wind my ds frequently during feeds which really helped and infants friend is great and can be given from birth.A midwife also showed me how to fold a cot sheet lenghtways so its about 5 to 10cm wide than tuck one end under the cot put bub in so the sheet goes over the tummy and then tuck the other side in so its firm.Its so hard they are all so different fingers crossed it settles down.
What kind of teats are you using? Some are more designed to assist with the reduction of colic than others. I always found the Tommy Tippy ones to be really good (the ones that look like a boob)
just wondering if you had tried a product form the health shop called 'blow the wind' ??? its a natural product that you add to a bit of boiled water or their bottle after a feed & it works wonders for getting wind up!!
also another product is one called 'infacol' you may have seen it/tried it? its available at the supermarket. i do think it works but i dont recommend it as highly as the 'blow the wind' product. my DD was windy after drinking from a bottle as well & so i changed to a type of bottles that help prevent wind 'dr brown' bottles that are available from baby city and used the 'blow the wind after' each feed & she brings up all her windy bubbles very quickly & they dont trouble her. hope you find something that helps soon, its horrible having a baby sore & sad.
My little one during her first few weeks was the same (breastfed with a nipple sheild)- handy hints - warm bottle of boiled water about 5 mins before the actual feed will help get the peristalitic movements of the bowel going - so if any air is getting trapped lower down it will help pass the wind quicker. Also a warm towel (20 mins in the dryer - depending on the model dryer) and wrap around the belly while feeding will help get the air to come up quicker.

These things helped for my little one until she was fully trained in how to burp and fluff!! The only other thing is if your partner is able to help - get them to put bub on their flat chest and gently pat until the burps come up. I hope that these tips help you (as they certainly worked for us!) smile
Hi,
I had the same issue with my first daughter, she was windy and spilly too. I breastfeed her until 10.5 months, but I actually took her off more frequently and burped, this assisted with her feeding, and then I never lied her down until she had burped or farted as such. When she moved to the bottle we used the NUK bottles they are fantastic, had no issues after this but also I found the initial formula we put her on was making it worse so changed formulas as well.

My son whom is 3 weeks old is breastfeed exclusively but he too has a bit of wind, I just keep trying until the burp comes out, I give him to my husband as well, so he can't smell me. Perserverance is the key with wind.
My little man was bottle fed with EBM from start. We had a lot of wind issues and no matter what different burping techniques I tried I wasn't able to burp him at all, only my husband. but as hubby was at work, there was a lot of days with screaming until he could relieve it himself - not that I didn't try mind you.
The best things that worked for him were two things.
First was visit to chiropractor. A lot of people don't agree with it and each to their own. My son went at aged 6wks and only had the one appointment as it fixed him immediately. He had his neck out and thats all that was needed to help.
Second was changing to Dr Browns bottles. They have an inner tube/valve that somehow prevents ingesting air. These I believe helped maintain the relief.
I had an easy pregnancy and an elective ceasar so there was no trauma to bub at all however stats show a majority of children are born (irrelevant if natural or ceasar) with some part of their back or neck out. Chiro/physio sessions help with this which also helps in other areas ie colic, bowel issues, apparently even more successful breastfeeding.
I hope that whatever you try or do gives some reliefe soon, good luck.
I too had problems with my daughter....she is 9 weeks now and we are still using Infants friend on a reg basis. although i also highly reccomend boiled water (cool) if she grizzly when wakes and suspect there is wind, a few swigs of the water and instantly it brings the wind up. laying upwards facing outwards and moving there legs in a circular motion (like riding a bike basically) hope these can help you xx
I would mention it to your BHN too... My DD1 has just been diagnosed with Silent Reflux & we put her onto Novalac Reflux Formula which is a thicker formula, She hasnt looked back since... Im not suggesting that your little one has the same thing but I didnt even know such a thing existed & some of your bubs symptoms match my DDs... Might be worth looking into smile
I liked Infants friend - also we moved Zara's legs in a bicycle motion, I sat with my knees up her back along my thighs facing me chatting to her as we cycle reassuring her it's all going to be ok. We still do that. Oh and gently massaging their belly in a clockwise direction helps move everything along the intestines.
i hope by now you have found a solution, however i am replying in case someone like me googles until she cant google no more on how to fix their bubs wind.

it is so tough for any mum and baby who suffers from wind..it is painful for everyone and can put alot of stress on the family.

My DS is just over 4 months and i THINK i have found his magic combination of bottles and formula.

Everyone always commented on how loud and noisy he was when he drank from teh bottle and in turn i beleive this casued alot of his wind..i tried nealry every bottle on the market, all the anti colic ones, orthodontic ones with no success until yesterday i chaned to Pigeon, now there is no more gulping slurping and making a big mess. the nipple is peristltic (sp?) teat.

i also changed yesterday to Novalac Colic as his poops were very foul looking and smelling and again i belive the formula was part of the problem for his wind (tried Karicare Aptimal, Nan HA, Nan Pro, then Nan HA again)

last night he slept through the night since i changed him to formula smile (slept through EBF from 5-9 weeks until i changed to formula)

im going forum mad at the moment trying to help as many people as i can.

i think bottles do play one of the biggest roles in babies wind issues

My 3 week old daughter seems to have a lot of wind and it seems to give her a pain in the tummy until she is able to fart.
What can I do to help?
She is bottlefed and is very noisy during her feed and some formula runs out the sides of her mouth as she is feeding so I am guessing she is taking in too much air maybe??? Not sure.
When we are trying to settle her, she seems fast asleep and then she will let out this awful cry all of a sudden and pull her legs up and arch her back and then she settles down within about 20 seconds like nothing happened.
What can I do to help her??? Could it be something to do with the formula she is on? I don't know!
Any help would be appreciated smile

Hi

Sounds like the wrong kind of teat for her mouth, she cant get a good suction on it and perhaps the flow is too fast as well.

Experiment with other teats, I've found the normal small teats are best (not the ones that claim to be like a breast or orthodontic etc) and just a regular shaped bottle, not wide neck or fancy shapes.

Also you need to burp her several times each feed, not just once at the end and never put her down until you have gotten a burp.

It is normal for them to pass wind quite a bit in the early days, if they dont burp it out they fart it out.
Sign in to follow this topic