Huggies Forum

Babies born before getting to hospital Rss

Every time I watch the news I hear about a bub being born on the side of the road or in a ambulance
In Sydney in the last 2 weeks their has been 27 emergency calls for babies born before getting to the hospital

For my Secound she is apart of this group of babies that were born in the car and my hubby delivered her
( she will be getting told how impatient she was even from birth) laugh

Iv not actually meet any other mothers who has had bub in the car or never made it to hospital
So I'm curious any on huggies had labour and delivery all happen before getting to a hospital
And if so were was bub born
Who delivered bub
And were you in shock and kept thinking what just happened
I can't believe these things make it onto the news! I mean it probably happens atleast 10 times a day in the Sydney area alone. (I'm sure many of them don't get recorded for they don't call an ambulance. So they probably don't count!) One of them kept coming up as a news update time and time again one night!

I know it's a huge deal to a couple, but it happens all the time!

Anyway, My DD2 was an unplanned homebirth! She was a VBAC baby so my entire labour definately should have been supervised! Apart from the fact it should have been otherwise due to the fact that I have epilepsy!

However it was not due to bubs being impatient. DF continually called the hospital and explained the situation, yet the midwife continually kept saying don't come in yet.

By the time a new midwife came on duty, saying "You'd better get here immediately!" It was morning peak hour! What usually would take 15 min. would probably take 45 min. So the midwife told us to call an ambulance!(There was no way I was even going to try to make it) My contractions were virtually non-stop by then!

I refused to push until the parametics got here but DD2 was born within 2 min. of them arriving. Luckily they arrived within 5 min.

So the ambo. delivered her yet DF had to deal with most of it on his own!

I had a planned homebirth which was a good thing or we would have been in the same situation except probably on the side of a narrow windy road. As it was it sped up so quickly we hadn't called the midwife. We ended up calling her after the placenta was delivered. It was fantastic!
My mother is a manager at a large public hospital and she says that at least once a week they have someone give birth in the carpark, in the lobby, or in the lift ... people make it as far as the hospital but not as far as the maternity ward!!!

It's pretty common ... these days women are encouraged to stay at home for as long as possible during their labour, so they do that but then they don't make it to the hospital on time.

Not happened to me personally though, I was induced when I had DD so spent the whole time in hospital smile
I have an Ambulance baby! She is my first baby and graced me with her arrival very quickly - she was a week early and arrived in less than an hour and a half after my first contraction. Even though my waters had broken, my midwife told us we were probably in for a long night and to get as much rest as possible - having never experienced labour I felt everything was very intense very early on...but mostly just assumed I was weak! Then suddenly I felt the urge to push - even at this stage my midwife thought I was having a posterior labour and was feeling pressure due to that, but when she heard my next contraction she told us to call an Ambulance immediately, thank goodness they arrived quickly as our little girl was born about 3 minutes after I was loaded into the Ambulance.

I was in a massive amount of shock (as was my husband and all our friend and family when they found out!). To be honest it took me days to process what had happened and I can now say I am thankful it was quick - but at the time it was very scary.
Skippy and the Greek My husband was the same while we were waiting for the ambulance he was sayin I have to get that seat cleaned and the car

I'll never forget when I told him to stop and call the ambulance he was like why
I said babies comming

His comment um are U serious but the look on his face
But he was my rock cos if he wasn't their I don't know what I would have done
And thank god I didn't drive like my first labour
I had an unplanned home birth. 1st baby and very quick labour. When I rung the midwife I had only been in a labour around an hr. Our midwife comes and checks you at home as hospitals half an hr away, so they prefer to check you before you both waste time going in and getting sent home again. She got to us and said to me "do you want the good news, or the good news?" I was ready to go and we were doing it there and then.
Now that im pregnant with my 2nd im wondering weather to just plan a homebirth?? but im sure i'll get shafted with a long labour and need the drugs? Heres hoping its a nother quicky.
I actually think its worth running courses for women that have had quick labours so they can birth at home unassisted if needed. This is yet another reason why homebirth should also be supported. Call me cynical, but I just can't fathom how its safer getting to hospital asap with a stressed out partner negotiating traffic and then ending up birthing on the side of the road. Surely if you know you have quick labours, planning a homebirth would mean that by the time you know you are in labour a midwife is on their way to you. Or an ambulance. Or at the very least if you get stuck on the side of the road the parents aren't freaking out because they know what is going on. It just seems like so much unnecessary stress. sad

ja_nel - you can plan a homebirth and transfer if you decide you need drugs.

I actually think its worth running courses for women that have had quick labours so they can birth at home unassisted if needed. This is yet another reason why homebirth should also be supported. Call me cynical, but I just can't fathom how its safer getting to hospital asap with a stressed out partner negotiating traffic and then ending up birthing on the side of the road. Surely if you know you have quick labours, planning a homebirth would mean that by the time you know you are in labour a midwife is on their way to you. Or an ambulance. Or at the very least if you get stuck on the side of the road the parents aren't freaking out because they know what is going on. It just seems like so much unnecessary stress. sad

ja_nel - you can plan a homebirth and transfer if you decide you need drugs.

I agree it would be far less stressfull for my third I will be strongly considering as I could not see my self packing to kids in the car dropping them off and trying to make it to the hospital I want a relaxed experience i hate having to rush and hurry it's not in my nature smile

I had an unplanned home birth. 1st baby and very quick labour. When I rung the midwife I had only been in a labour around an hr. Our midwife comes and checks you at home as hospitals half an hr away, so they prefer to check you before you both waste time going in and getting sent home again. She got to us and said to me "do you want the good news, or the good news?" I was ready to go and we were doing it there and then.
Now that im pregnant with my 2nd im wondering weather to just plan a homebirth?? but im sure i'll get shafted with a long labour and need the drugs? Heres hoping its a nother quicky.

The midwifes do tell you your Secound tends to be a shorter labour than your first
But being first you did great I would have been a mess given how I behaved with my first smile

I have an Ambulance baby! She is my first baby and graced me with her arrival very quickly - she was a week early and arrived in less than an hour and a half after my first contraction. Even though my waters had broken, my midwife told us we were probably in for a long night and to get as much rest as possible - having never experienced labour I felt everything was very intense very early on...but mostly just assumed I was weak! Then suddenly I felt the urge to push - even at this stage my midwife thought I was having a posterior labour and was feeling pressure due to that, but when she heard my next contraction she told us to call an Ambulance immediately, thank goodness they arrived quickly as our little girl was born about 3 minutes after I was loaded into the Ambulance.

I was in a massive amount of shock (as was my husband and all our friend and family when they found out!). To be honest it took me days to process what had happened and I can now say I am thankful it was quick - but at the time it was very scary.

My family thought we were playing a practical joke on them ehehehe but we were like why would we make up a birth story
Same I was giong over what happened trying to think what did I miss but I still have her card and were it says midwife/nurse it saids father
Sign in to follow this topic