Huggies Forum

Small stature baby Rss

Hi! Just hoping to reach out and find somebody else who might be experiencing something similar with their child? My DD2 is considered to be a small stature baby. At nearly 16 months she is a bit under 9 kilos. She is in 3rd percentile for weight and 25th for height. We have been seeing a paediatrician and he doesn't seem overly concerned but did send her for blood tests. They've all come back clear and he wants to see her again in January saying there is one more test he could do. He didn't elaborate at the time and I didn't think to ask. I understand small babies are not unusual and all babies are different but our DD1 has always been in the 90th percentile for height and weight. Has anyone else got a story to share similar to ours? Or any idea what test he may have been referring to?
I have a friend going through this atm. .
Her DS is similar to your DD with weight, but I think his is a bit smaller height wise. I know she had some blood tests done & they were looking at other things, but not sure exactly what it was. We are generally running around after the kids so it's hard to talk properly...
I know they mentioned dwarfism as a possible reason, but he was clear for that.

Sorry i'm not much help, i'll try to find out what type of blood test/other tests they had done.
hippomum wrote:
Can't comment on the tests, but i do have a friend who is tall (nearly 6 ft) and her older sister is short (barely 5 ft). When my friend was 18 mo old she was the same size as her 3 yo sister . They have v tall and v short genes in the family and the sisters just took after different sides of the family. Could this be the case in your family?


Thanks for your reply. I'd like to think so!! My husband and I are fairly average (I'm 5ft4 and he's 5ft11) but my MIL is about 5ft2 and a size 10 at 57!!! She's always been really petite and so was her mum. On my side I have some height which is where I think DD1 gets it. And I think the paed is thinking the same thing but I still am a little worried.
tickled*pink wrote:
My dd1 is in the third percentile, she has been from the 3 rd to the 5th throughout her life and I've always been reassured she's fine. Dd2is in the 80th so I know how you feel lmao. I get asked constantly if they're twins purely based on their sizes.

Could he have been testing for dwarfism? We have recently had tests done for dd1 which we haven't had back yet for other things but the doctor checked for dwarfism to cover all bases. Or perhaps the doctor was checking for malnutrition, or just a deficiency in something.

End of the day, we all have to come in different sizes...thats how I have to look at at anyway smile


Lol! We don't get that as it's my DD2 who is smallest but you have reminded me of my friend who gets asked if her boys are twins but there is a medical condition contributing. We always get told "she's too little to be walking!". Paed likened her to 6 month old in size. I know the blood tests looked at kidney and liver function, thyroid, growth hormone, immunoglobulins, coeliac and a general one to check viruses and all came back clear. He said if they were clear then there was still one more to do. Could be dwarfism? I wonder how they test that?
Little Miss's wrote:
My DD1 platoed at around 9kg and didn't put on weight for a long time. I never did any tests as we are all small so wasn't worried. She only just hit 12kg at 3 yrs. I wouldn't worry too much. smile


Thanks smile I just said to my husband that If we didn't go to paed then we wouldn't be giving it a second thought!! But because pregnancy was closely monitored in last 10 weeks (because of her growth among other things) it seemed a natural progression to go to paed. I think we sometimes get too much information but not enough to explain it yet with all our new technologies!! Lol wink
Lisa107 wrote:
I have a friend going through this atm. .
Her DS is similar to your DD with weight, but I think his is a bit smaller height wise. I know she had some blood tests done & they were looking at other things, but not sure exactly what it was. We are generally running around after the kids so it's hard to talk properly...
I know they mentioned dwarfism as a possible reason, but he was clear for that.

Sorry i'm not much help, i'll try to find out what type of blood test/other tests they had done.


Lol smile know that feeling. Coffee with a friend has never been the catch up it used to be! If you could find out I would really appreciate it. Thank you x
tickled*pink wrote:
>MMM< wrote:

Lol! We don't get that as it's my DD2 who is smallest but you have reminded me of my friend who gets asked if her boys are twins but there is a medical condition contributing. We always get told "she's too little to be walking!". Paed likened her to 6 month old in size. I know the blood tests looked at kidney and liver function, thyroid, growth hormone, immunoglobulins, coeliac and a general one to check viruses and all came back clear. He said if they were clear then there was still one more to do. Could be dwarfism? I wonder how they test that?



With dd1 the paed measured her hands, feet and compared them on a chart with her head circumf. And height, etc. we had to get a urine sample from her and go in for a genetics (blood) test which we want get back until October, so it's a long wait, but that test includes just about every possibility from global development delay to chromosomal abnormalities. The dwarfism was included in that blood test.


That is a long wait!! I hope they all come back clear. And it's made me think maybe it will be a genetic test. We're not back til January though. Hmmmm. Maybe I should just ring him but I didn't want to be seen as the neurotic mother!! wink
My son was born 4.19kg but at 2 was just under 10kg. He was born at the 97th percentile and has now fallen off the charts at 2. The first year I would stress about his weight constantly but his paed was not too stressed about his weight gain as he was very active, healthy and was meeting developmental milestones. My maternal nurse weighs him more regularly than required but is happy as long as he puts on weight.

When looking at my siblings and cousins, I realised as children we could be split in 2 groups..... Skinny and chubby. This was regardless of birth weight. While I was chubby through childhood (still am), my sister was too tiny. DS seems to follow the skinny side of the family. My cousin also had a daughter 3 months after me. her daughter was born at 2.2kg and is now is as heavy as my son. The good news is that the skinny ones did end up catching up with the chubby ones by the time they were in their teens.



Sdhani wrote:
My son was born 4.19kg but at 2 was just under 10kg. He was born at the 97th percentile and has now fallen off the charts at 2. The first year I would stress about his weight constantly but his paed was not too stressed about his weight gain as he was very active, healthy and was meeting developmental milestones. My maternal nurse weighs him more regularly than required but is happy as long as he puts on weight.

When looking at my siblings and cousins, I realised as children we could be split in 2 groups..... Skinny and chubby. This was regardless of birth weight. While I was chubby through childhood (still am), my sister was too tiny. DS seems to follow the skinny side of the family. My cousin also had a daughter 3 months after me. her daughter was born at 2.2kg and is now is as heavy as my son. The good news is that the skinny ones did end up catching up with the chubby ones by the time they were in their teens.


Thank you, Sdhani! That makes me feel more at ease because when I think of it we have the same variations in both of our families. And DD2 is making all of her developmental milestones as well so the paed is not at all worried in that regards. I'm sure he is just being thorough. Time to stop worrying so much! smile
SammyAhh-boo wrote:
Both my boys were average-tall in height but DS1 was always in the 95-97% for weight while DS2 was always between 5-20% even though they were born about the same size. At 2.5yrs DS2 is still only 10kgs. It is funny how they can be so different.
I hope all the tests come out fine, you may just have a naturally petite child smile


Thank you!! I'm so grateful for you all taking the time out to reassure me that this is more normal than I'm letting myself think ????
I'm a little startled why the need to see a paediatrician. My bub #2 was called 'petite' during my ultrasounds. is average in head, just under average for height, and from about 4mths until 18 mths has always stayed on the 3rd percentile. At no point was I referred to a paed, my gp told me that as long as kids follow that line (ie 3rd percentile) they are fine. She might be a slower walker, but if she is eating well, she obviously has a good digestive system and you may never have obesity issues with her in future!

Don't worry, kids can never starve, as long as she is developing and moving around well, she will be fine.
Sign in to follow this topic