Classic Chicken Soup
A few months ago i was very very sick with the flu, i didnt want to take any medication as i am pregnant, so i came accross this chicken soup recipie that made me feel a whole lot better strait away, better than any cold tablets have.
I have also been making it and freezing it for when i dont have time to cook dinner. it has been a LIFESAVER! and SOOOOO yummy too!! and VERY easy to make.
3LB (1.3kg) chicken peices (or caserol peices)
2 onions quatered
1 parsnip quatered
1 large carrot quatered
2 potatos quatered
1/2 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
2 allspice berries
4 black peppercorns
4 3/4pt (3 litres) water
3oz (85g) very thin egg noodles
1. in a large saucepan, combine the chicken peices, onions, parsnip, carrots, potatos, salt, bayleaf, allspice and peppercorns.
2. Add the water to the pan and bring to the boil, skimming frequently
3. reduce the heat to a low simmer for 1 1/2 hours, skimming occasionally
4. strain the broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a large bowl. Cool and refridgerate over night
5. when the chicken peices are cool enough to handle, remove all meat from the bones. Discard the bones, skin, vegatables and flavourings. Chop the chicken meat into small pecies and refridgeate overnight.
6. Remove the solidified fat from the surface of the chicken broth with a spoon.
7. pour the broth into a sousepan and bring to the boil. Taste the broth; if a more concentrated flavour is wanted, boil 10 mins to reduce the stock slightly. (i added a chciken stock cube to mine for extra flavour)
8. Add the chicken meat and noodles to the broth and cook until noodles are tender, about 8 mins (check noodle packet for exact time)
9. Serve hot.
Harley's Mum - April 2006