Huggies Forum

print

Ideas for extra flavour to disguise packet cake mix Rss

I know there are thousands of you cake decoraters out there with some great tips.

Because I have to attend a birthday party, kitchen tea and hen's night all in one day, I cannot be bothered baking a chocolate mud cake (as requested) from scratch. So I have decided to purchase a chocolate mud cake mix from a cake store (they are supposed to be better than the ones in Woolies and Coles I have been told).

So I was wondering if any of you could give me any suggestions on what else I can add to make the cake mix to taste less like a packet cake and more like made from scratch. I am planning to use cream cheese filling, chocolate ganache and buttercream fondant.

Any ideas would be great, thank you:)
just wondering why you were told to make it from scratch?My neice has anaphalaxis (sp) and her eating a packet cake is a " risk" that I would not take.Trying to disguise the flavour could be dangerous in some cases but if its a "snob" factor then the suggestions here are good...

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 12 and 14

The cadburys packet cake is the least packet flavoured one. I used to make it into a blackforest cake and no one knew.

These days I find it quick and easy to make it from scratch anyway so I just do that. By the time I go to the shops to get the packet mix I could've had it in the oven anyway. Plus I can't eat packet food so if I want some it has to be from scratch! lol

The Macro choc mud cake mix from Woolies tastes nothing like a packet mix and is amazing

www.facebook.com/LeReveWithSally

You could probably add some cherry essence and coconut to get a cherry ripe type outcome...or mint essence and peppermint crisp bars?

Or, buy a vanilla mud mix, add a tad more vanilla for flavour and then, add cocoa to a portion and swirl it together for a marble look?

You could also try substiuting milk for buttermilk and adding red colour to get it more like red velvet (maybe, again)!
Sign in to follow this topic
also on Huggies:
Visit Huggies mobile site