new year’s resolutions
Top Ten Most Popular Resolutions:
1. Lose a little weight
2. Get fit and healthy
3. Enjoy life more
4. Reduce household debt or pay off credit card
5. Get more organized
6. Spend more time with my family
7. Spend more time outdoors
8. Learn a new skills
9. Quit smoking
10. Volunteer for a charity
It is often very hard for mums to make time for themselves and to look after themselves properly. Juggling the demands of small children, running a household and work make it very difficult sometimes.
That’s why the beginning of a New Year is a wonderful time to take a step back and reflect on how to make time for yourself, and to consider how you are going to make caring for yourself a priority.
There are some simple ways to make your goals achievable and measurable for yourself.
- Step 1: Write them down somewhere you will see them on a daily basis. You can use a small board or even a piece of cardboard and write down five goals for yourself. You can also cut out pictures from magazines or images and words that inspire you. Stick them all together in a colourful collage and leave it out as a visual reminder of what it is you want to achieve.
- Step 2: Make your goals realistic. Instead of making lots of broad, vague goals like: “Get fit” or “Make new friends,” try to make your goals bite-size achievable ones for yourself. Instead write: “work out three times a week.” For many mums getting to a gym is a challenge with small children in tow, so working out at home is a great alternative. Treat yourself to new exercise equipment to inspire you to do it. Being fit means you are able to cope better with the stresses of everyday life, but it needn’t cost you a great deal of money. There are some excellent simple and achievable programmes you can access here at Huggies as well to help you start to build up your fitness.
- Step 3: Be patient with yourself. You aren’t going to achieve your goals all at once. If one of your goals is making new friends, take it slowly. If phoning the local playgroup centres is a bit intimidating for you, send an email instead asking for advice on your local one. Be prepared to shop around till you find the right group for you and your child. The same goes for losing weight. Give yourself plenty of time to do it. Rather than obsessing over dieting, put your focus on ensuring your shopping list is filled with fresh and healthy recipe ideas. There are plenty of excellent suggestions available here at Huggies to support you.
- Step 4: Keep your list short. You are busy enough anyway and don’t want your resolutions to simply become something else you have to do. This is something special you have set aside to achieve for yourself and to have pride in. Keeping it manageable is an excellent way to do that.
- Step 5: Record your progress. If you have written all your goals down then make sure you keep note of when you have achieved or fulfilled your goals and celebrate accordingly.
- Step 6: Don’t do it alone. Enlist the support of your partner or family and friends. Let people around you know the goals you have set for yourself. That helps you be accountable as well and it is less likely that you will give up on your goals.
Often as a mum it is all too easy to put yourself last on the list of priorities. Instead focus on making 2011 a year where you make time for yourself and on achieving all you are capable of.
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...