Getting your Confidence for Childbirth
Are you one of the many women who fear that they won’t be able to cope with childbirth? You are far from alone, especially if this is your first time.
Learn to believe in yourself and your body’s innate ability to deliver your baby, by practicing the visualisation and breathing exercises in this calming and reassuring video. It could be one of the most important exercises for you in the pregnancy yoga program.
Childbirth ConfidenceView all videos
Childbirth confidence step by step
Make sure you have enough pillows or cushions for support so you can completely relax and let go during this exercise.
Lie in the yogi sleeping pose, on either your left or right, whichever is most comfortable for you. Place a bolster or cushion under your bent top knee, with your lower leg resting on the ground. Place a folded blanket under your head. Stretch your lower arm along the ground and allow your top hand to relax by your face, palm down. Turn your focus inward.
- Allow your eyes to be softly focused on a spot that’s not moving and take long deep breaths
- As you gaze at the spot you’ll feel your eyes growing heavy and tired. Allow your eyes to close
- Embrace this feeling of release. Allow your whole body to melt into the ground. Feel the support of the earth and allow your mind to be calm and at peace
- Feel a warm release throughout your entire body with your every breath. Allow every part of your body to feel heavy and supported, and your mind free and clear
- Breathe in a soft white light and allow it to clear your mind, filtering out any negative thoughts and concerns
- Have faith in the world and yourself, trust in your body and your baby and enjoy every day of your pregnancy
- Be aware of your entire body, surrounded by a beautiful white light, which is with you all the time. You can call on it whenever you need to, to cushion you and comfort you, and rest upon when you need it
- Breathe in this white light, allow it to fill your mind and body, giving you space, freedom and comfort
- Trust in your body and allow yourself to move with the contractions
- Allow your mind to be open to all possibilities, knowing that it doesn’t matter what kind of labour you have. The best labour is one where you and your baby are healthy. Have confidence in your body
- Your mother nurtured you and now you are nurturing your baby. Believe in your strength, your mother’s strength, and her mother’s strength
- Look into the past and see into infinity: this is what your body is designed for. Have faith and trust, and go with the flow
- When your contractions begin, embrace them and go with the feeling. Trust your instincts. You are your own expert. Believe in yourself, in your body
- If you need to make noise, make noise. If you want to be quiet, be quiet. Listen to your body and surrender to the way you feel
- Repeat 3 times: “I will have a positive and healthy labour”
- Now, very gently allow your mind to return to the white light. Feel it surround you. Allow it to take you wherever you’d like to go: the beach, a forest, perhaps a special place that only you know about. Enjoy this feeling of space and freedom
- You can carry on relaxing or sleeping for as long as you would like
- When you’re ready to come back, simply bring some gentle movement back to your body by wriggling your fingers and toes
- Very gently come to a sitting position
- Reach your arms overhead as you inhale, stretch and yawn. Feel the space you’ve crated in your mind, heart and body
Next try bhramari breathing
Return to full list of pregnancy yoga videos