My daughter is 7.5 months old and is allergic to dairy, therefore I cannot offer yoghurt or cheeses, etc. Can you please advise what some good alternatives are for providing calcium.
Is it ok to put something like Nutulex spread onto her toast? Also what are some good spreads to put on toast that is ok for her age?
There are a great many little ones about who aren`t able to or choose not to consume dairy products and do just fine. As you say the trick is finding good resources to support you in covering all the nutritional bases.
So below are a load of allergy links for you, they are all good sites and some have helpful tip sheets and recipe books.
- http://www.allergyfacts.org.au/product.html -pretty much the be all and end all on allergy – recipes everything fab site
- The RPA web site has a fabulous booklet you can download on how to cope with bubs who have a milk allergy you can request a copy of Milk Allergy from email@example.com
Allergy Recipe Books:
RPA Friendly Food Recipe and Food Intolerance Book from the Allergy Unit at Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Sydney, Australia www.cs.nsw.gov.au/rpa/allergy/resources/foodintol/friendlyfood.cfm
Anaphylaxis Australia – A recipe book containing 80 recipes free of dairy, egg, wheat and sugar. … Finding allergy–free recipes for those special occasions can be difficult. www.allergyfacts.org.au/product.htmlMilk allergy:
- http://healthybones.com.au/threeserves.pdf – Calcium serve ideas
Other sites include:
Allergy New Zealand www.allergy.org.nz
Immune Deficiencies Foundation of Australia www.idfaustralia.org.au
Immune Deficiencies Foundation of New Zealand www.idfnz.org.nz
Kids Foundation of New Zealand www.idfnz.org.nz/kids
On the issue of spreads for toast etc you can try things like:
- Almond paste (which I think a better option than Nutlex as it is free from additives and has healthy fats and oils)
- Hummus in a month or so
- Sugar free jam for example, St. Dalfour jams
Don`t forget about the Huggies Cook Book which also has some great tips for foods.
I hope that provides you with some helpful info.
All the best to you both,