Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. What sort of "games" to you play with your 6 month old?

What sort of "games" to you play with your 6 month old? Rss

Hi there, Was just wondering what sort of things to do with my 6 1/2 month old baby. She has educational toys to play with, I read her stories, read the alphabet and numbers to her and she listens to music. What other things can I do to amuse and stimulate her? We also go out of course with my new mums group and friends. I am really after things that I can do when we are at home.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Sorry subject was supposed to read "do you play" not "to you play"

Hi Phantom
I would like some more ideas too!
I have a floor length window in my lounge and sometimes I prop Ashleigh up against a couple of pillows and let him look out the window at the trees outside...I keep meaning to buy a nice pot plant for inside too.
Other than that we just have lots of floor play time...he will do pushups and show me how strong he is.
Sometimes we have a bit of a dance and sing aswell.
Hi ashmummy

I have a floor length window also with some trees outside, so I could sit her up and let her look outside too. We are on a property, so she will have lots of birds etc to look at.
We also spend a lot of time on the floor as well as in her bouncinette which I have sitting under her play gym. I guess I just wonder what other things to do with her as you can only read so many stories and sing so many silly songs smile I will have to incorporate some dancing in with my singing. I think she would enjoy that as I'm sure she doesn't think much of my singing *lol*

Sean is six months old and he loves to look at himself in the mirror. We have floor to ceiling mirrored doors on our wardrobes so when he is starting to get antsy, I sometimes set him up on the floor to play in front of the mirror. This will keep him amused for a while.

I use flashcards with the abc's on them and he likes to see me making the sounds with my mouth.

One of his favourite toys is a half-blown up balloon. At first, I was sure that it would burst on him, but it hasn't yet and I tried to burst one and couldn't because it isn't fully blown up.

This might sound a bit risky, but another mum told me she learned it in baby gym. He seems to like being held by his ankles and gently turned upside down, then I let him settle on to my tummy whilst I flip him back upright. He thinks it's fantastic and apparently it makes the babies "feel" their limbs. He also likes to be lifted into the air gently. Essentially, safe horseplay seems to amuse him no end!

Michelle, QLD, Sean Aug 03 Owen Nov 05

Thanks Michelle, I'm sure Meghan will enjoy those games.

I learnt some cool games at Gymbaroo. They used a balloon but at home I use a beach ball. Sit baby on it and bounce up and down. Lay baby on stomach over balloon and rock back and forth, have a mirror on the floor so she sees herself when she goes forward. Lay baby over ball on her back and rock back and forth.

Sit on the floor. legs out and sit baby on your legs facing you. Hold wrists and do big rocks back and forth singing 'Row Row Row Your Boat" Baby will love this.

Yes, babies love being held upside down by the ankles!
Thanks Sue. Its nice to get new ideas.

Hi I was getting stuck for new games for my 7mth old boy. I found tupperware keeps him amused for ages, or any plastic ware. Fill a net bag (like a lingere washing bag) with crackley paper or Blowing bubbles keeps him amused. For some ok games check out the fisher-price.com site. There is heaps of games on it. I have found the simplest things are the most exciting!

Em Tmba - mum to Liam 31/7/03 & Callum 7/5/05

Thanks Emily - I have PLENTY of Tupperware that I can get out of the cupboard for her and I will go check out the Fisher-Price site.

hi phantom,
i have a 6 month old baby now, and she loves bangles tied to a ribbon.. she also likes laying on the floor on a doona or thick blanket with a few soft toys in front of her.. she likes crawling towards them, knocking them around and crawling for them again.. it keeps her entertained for hours..

jennie_lou_4@hotmail.com

send me email, would like to talk...
Hi Everyone

I was running out of ideas for games as well - my son is 9 1/2 months old now. I joined the local library a couple of weeks ago and they had a few books on games to play with babies, they were really helpful - and it didn't cost a cent smile !!!

Jasmine
Sign in to follow this topic