Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

too big for a wrap? Lock Rss

Hi everyone

my 6 month old (6.5kg, 66cm long) has been wrapped for bed since she was 1 month old. She has always responded well to it and is currently in a muslin wrap which is 1.2m x 1.2m (I leave one arm tucked in and one arm out for self comforting). She is placed on her back for sleep every time. For about the last 6 weeks, i find that every time i go into her room to feed her during the night, or when she wakes up in the morning, both arms are out of the wrap and it hangs loosely around her body (its snuggly wrapped around her to begin with). My problem is that this morning at 4.30am i could hear a mournful cry and when i went into her room, she was face down with one arm and shoulder in between 2 bars of her cot - both arm were out of the wrap. Does this mean i shouldn't be wrapping her anymore? Its too warm now to be using a bed sheet to wrap her and I'm nervous about possible hazardous bed situations.

What does anyone think?
Susan

Susan, Sydney, 12/4/05 baby

Hi

My daughter hasn't been wrapped for a while now, she just has a sheet tucked around her body firmly with her arms out and her legs can move. In the last few days she has been rolling all over her cot and coming free of the sheet and I end up having to go in to her as she gets her legs stuck in the cot bars! What I do know is till tuck in a sheet around her but lay a thin blanket over the top and tuck it tightly into the side of the cot. That has stopped her moving too much. Perhaps you could try that and when it gets warmer just tuck a sheet over her instead of a blanket?

Hope this helps!
Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Hi Susan!
Is your baby lifting her head and rolling well? My little man started to do the same thing, but only once he was capable of then rolling back over!! He has always been wrapped, since he was born, and gets placed between his safe'n'sound snuggli roll thingys. They are almost obsolete now, since he rolls right out of them, but they kept him in place for a good while!! The other thing I was going to try was one of those safe t wraps. I thought it looked like a good idea...and it might give you peace of mind!!
Good Luck,
Lyn x

Me, NSW & DS 22.12.04

what about using cot bumpers so she doesnt poke her arms out? This didnt work for me because my little man played with them! but it might work for you? I suggest wrapping with a sheet, or starting to half wrap her body so that she gets used to sleeping with out the wrap. It's a hard call i know, because i have been in limbo with the same situation! Goodluck, but remember if you do choose to start removing the wrap if she doesnt like it or doesnt sleep well for first 2nights, and you go back to full body wrapping try it again a couple of days later. I think this is the key, to get them used to it.
Anything is worth a try when things get frustrating i suppose.

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Hi - my 4.5 mth old is 9kgs and 70cms long (big boy I know) and we wrap him and have done since birth, to start with we had both arms in, but then we let out one arm (as he also sucks his thumb to resettle himself) and then we left the other arm out too, so now we are just wrapping his body/legs, but we are having the same experience as you. He can roll from his back to his tummy but he gets stuck and ends up face planting into the mattress, and I am worried about the wrap getting caught up around his face - so we are moving onto a grobag sleeping bag. That way we figure he still feels secure as his body and legs are all enclosed but his arms are free. Hope this helps.

Mummy to Joe and Maggie

My dd used to do this so I bought a light weight grow bag/sleeping bag and put her in that. I seemed to help keep her in 1 spot for a while.

Anna 25/8/02, Joshua 27/4/05

Hi there,

My baby is now 4mths old and I stopped wrapping her just before she turned 3mths, but she absolutely hated being wrapped up in the 1st place grin

I guess it really depends on the baby
Sign in to follow this topic