Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. When does a babies soft spot close?

When does a babies soft spot close? Rss

Hi

I have a 3 month old girl and was wondering when her soft spot is going to close, I always worry about hurting her if I knock it. Any ideas??

Dest,VIC, 3mth baby

Hi Dest,
My son is 6 months and his soft spot on the back of his head closed around 3-4 months. I think it depends on the baby and also the type of birth you had.
I don't think you need to worry too much about hurting her, there quite tough little critters.
You should ask your community health nurse. Or your g.p. they should be able to help you with a definate answer.
Goodluck.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi

Their soft spot on the back closes in the first couple of months but the clinic nurse told me the one on the top closes between 12 - 18 months, it needs to stay open so their brain has room to grow. The nurse also said their is a thick membrane under the skin which protects the brain. My son is 8 months old and I regularly take him to the clinic for check-ups, as he is quite small, and they always check his soft spot to make sure it hasn't closed too early.
Hope this helps. If you have any concerns see your GP or clinic nurse.

Jasmine
Hi, I have a 8 1/2 month old son and his back soft spot closed at 5 weeks old and his top one closed at 8 months. I was quite worried but my health nurse had no problems with it, and reassured me that as long as your babys head continues to grow, theres no concern over when the soft spots close over.
Sign in to follow this topic