Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. Toilet Training or Toilet Timing?

Toilet Training or Toilet Timing? Rss

I am wondering if anybody can please tell me the difference between toilet timing and toile training, and if so, please explain to me how toilet timing works. My Step Mother In Law had both her two children toilet trained by 15 months. My daughter is now eleven (almost 12) months, and I am wondering how on earth she managed to have her kids trained by 15 months. I have heard stories hear and then, about children who have been toilet trained at very young ages, but, no-body can explain to me exactly how to do it.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hiya,

I really cannot explain the difference, but to guess. In the "olden days" they use to put babies over a potty after a meal from 4 months, and probably every hour or something after.

My opinion on this is it takes what nearly 12 months, and that is probably if you are lucky, not to mention a lot of mess and stress.

Children will start to show signs of wanting to go to the toilet when they are ready. I started the general idea when my daughter was about 22 months and she was too busy to be interested. I just encouraged her by saying would you like to go to the potty before your bath or when she first woke up! Virtually overnight she was day trained to be dry!

I hope i don't sound too harsh, i just think toddlers will let us know when they are ready,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

My understanding is that toilet training can't happen properly until the child is aware of the urge to go, which normally happens sometime between 18months to 3 years (usually later for boys). Toilet timing is when the caregiver gets to know when the child needs to go and places them on the potty at that point. The problem with this is that often when the child starts to become aware of the need to go, timing changes and the child may go when the caregiver is not ready resulting in frustrated parents and children!
Personally I am going to wait until my little boy starts showing signs of being ready, after all nappies aren't that much of a hassle!

Rachelle, NZ, son George 10.12.02, Ian 15.06.04

hi linda,

i've never heard of toilet timing before but i would guess that it the same method that i used to some extent.
i put my son on the toilet once a day everyday for a week at 13 mths & then again at 18mths & the next week he was asking to go, he was fully day trained for NO.1's by 22mths however NO.2 took a while as he was scared of sitting on the toilet & didn't like the potty.
i think if you try to train them to early it will take alot longer & be much more stressful for you but there's no harm in showing them what the toilet is & once she realises how it works she will start to realise when she is doing something in her nappy, some children stay still or take their nappy off or even a cheeky smile when ther're doing it.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!

Tanya, had 3 boys under 26 months

Sign in to follow this topic