Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Thumb Sucking Rss

Does anyone else have a thumb sucker and if so how did you stop them doing it. My 4 month old has just started doing it and she seems to do it more and more everyday. My husband is worried about it as my brother was a bad thumb sucker and he end up with bad buck teeth.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 Perfect Girls Catherine7/8/05 & Mirelle17/10/07

hi,
dont make a big deal about it......because the more you do the more she is going to suck!! you know how it is if someone tells you dont do it you are going to want to do it more!!
when you see her going to put her thumb in her mouth side track her....... its going to take persistance from your end, but if you and your husband really dont want her to thumb suck then you have to stick with it. dont, not let her do it one day, and the next let her...
good luck!

Amina, mum of 3 boys 06/03, 03/05, 06/08

Hi Natasha
My little boy sucks his thumb and has done since about 3 months (he is now 6.5 months) We had a dental nurse come and visit our mothers group and she said that thumb sucking is not a problem for teeth unless they are still doing it at school age when their "big teeth" are coming through - so at this young age I wouldnt worry too much.
I love the fact that my boy sucks his thumb as it means I dont have to get up in the night looking for a dummy in the cot or on the floor as he can just shove that thumb straight in and comfort himself. Maybe you could try something strong tasting like vegemite or similar???

Mummy to Joe and Maggie

My DD doesn't suck her thumb - she sucks her big toe. It is the funnies thing ever. Last week at swimming she wouldn't let go of it - the teacher was in hysterics. She has done it since I can remember - got quite a few funny photos for her 21st.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Natasha,

Yeh my 4 1/2 month bubby sucks her thumb as well and yes I don't like her having that habit either and always wonder how long it will last for. I would pull her thumb away eveerytime I see her. But, I nottice when she is tired she will suck it even harder hehehe

Ashley Baby

I'm having the same problem if you hear of any advice please pass it on... Thanks

Nat, Tas, 4mth baby

My little girl sucks her thumb when she is tired and ready for bed - when she first started to the skin on her thumb became red and sore, a friend of mine recomended Pawpaw cream - you can get it from a health food shop/chemist - in a red tube - it's all natural so perfectly harmless to baby. Her skin cleared up straight away it was like miracle cream - I highly recommend it if anyone is having problems. I'm not all that worried about Jess sucking her thumb just yet - it's been a God send to be honest - and its not an issue just yet - I may be back later if it all goes horribly wrong!

Louise, Daughter Jessica 21-04-05

Sign in to follow this topic