Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. Maternal & Child Health Nurse/s

Maternal & Child Health Nurse/s Rss

Hi All,

Just wondering what people think of their Maternal & Child Health Nurses?

I feel really uncomfortable taking my baby to my nurse and would prefer not to. I feel like she doesn't listen to me. For example, I was trying to tell her the other day that my baby seems to be showing signs that she might need something more than milk. Rather than listen to what I was trying to say she cut me off and told me that they don't recommend solids till 6 months. That's fair enough, I understand that's what they think is right but she needs to take into account that not all babies are the same. I don't mean to get into a discussion about when to start solids, It's more the fact that the nurse wouldn't even listen to me. She see's my baby once a month, I see her 24/7. This is just one example. Every single time I go there I come out feeling really annoyed with the nurse.

Does anyone know if I have to go to Maternal Health or can I take my baby to our Family Doctor for her checks?

Hi,

Fortunately my Maternal Child Health Nurse (MCHN) is great, she's understanding and listens she's also very easy going. In my community (just out of melbourne) there are about 3 MCHN's and although they allocate you to one in your area you don't have to stay with the same one. Going for your visit should be a positive experience and not a negative one, they have so much to teach you, don't give up on all of them perhaps try some others in your area or surrounding areas.

Good Luck
Claudia

Claudia, Vic (Bella 2 and Billy8mths

Hi there,

I feel that my Child Health Nurse is not very simpathetic either. I prefer to see my GP of 11 years rather than go to see the nurse at the clinic. If you know a really good GP, they are fantastic to deal with. Another option would be to look for another Early Childhood Centre that's in your local area. There are a few around my area, not just the one I used to frequent.

Good luck.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Bangus,
A friend of mine stopped going to our local one and started going to one nearer her mums place as she was unhappy with the nurse there. My hairdresser always used to have a doctors appointment booked for after her appointments at the health centre (same nurse).
Its funny though because I got to see the same one as my friend and my hairdresser and I don't have a problem with her at all. I've found her to be very supportive and helpful.
I'm not sure if you have to take them to the health centre for their checks but before you stop going altogether maybe see about swapping centres or hcn's.

With regards to solids if she's over the 4mth mark and not satisfied by just milk try her. As you said your with her 24/7 so you'd know some of the other signs to. Extrusion reflex has gone, watches you when you eat, grabs for your food etc.
Hope you have some success whatever you do.
Kristy

member since 2004

Thanks for your responses, they have been very helpful.

Claudia, That's great that you have a understanding nurse who listens to you. My nurse seemed nice at first but that was when I just listened and nodded at what she told me. Now that I'm asking questions more she's abrupt and rude. There's another centre near me so I might look at going there if the next appointment doesn't go well either.

Sam & Kristy, I've got another appointment with the nurse in 2 weeks (she messed up her dates and so I went last week for no reason). I'll see how this one goes, if I still feel the same I'll either look at going to another centre or going to my doctor. My doctor is terrific. She listens and takes plenty of time. She also has 2 young kids of her own so she knows where I'm coming from.

Thanks

The clinic I go to has a number of different nurses, some of them are really good, while some of them are very dismissive - they seem to feel they are the experts and the mother doesn't know what she is talking about. I had a similar experience last week with asking one about solids for my 17 week old - she told me that my baby was not really hungry - I was just misreading the signs and needed to learn how to resettle my baby. If I knew she would be the nurse I had to see each visit, I would definitely not be going back.

I would try to see if there is another nurse you could visit, or if you are happy with your doctor take your baby there.

Good luck.

mum to 2 girls

My MHN really upset me one visit so I rang the council and got a transfer. I havent looked back now. If you are not happy then find another one like i did. You want to be be able to talk to your nurse and feel at ease.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi Bri

It's so sad there seems to be a lot of child health nurses like this out there - they're supposed to be there to support us. Our clinic has a few nurses and a couple - one in particular - are really fantastic and one is really dismissive and there's another who just agrees with everything you say when sometimes you just need an honest opinion. I try and get in to see the really good one but obviously everyone else wants to see her too so sometimes there's a bit of a wait. She points out all the guidelines - as that's her job - but she also says all babies are different and parents know them better than anyone so just do what you feel is right.

There's no reason you can't see your GP for checkups if she gives you the support you need. I'd also be inclined to try another clinic.

All the best
Jasmine
Hi All,

I phoned the Child Health line and found out it's just a matter of phoning another centre and making an appointment for Olivia there. When I go in I'll just have to sign a document to get our records transferred.

I spoke to a couple of the mums in my Mum's Group and they say the other nurses in our current centre are all the same so it's probably just easier to change centre's entirely.

I'm going to have a word with my neighbour who has 4 young boys. She goes to this other centre so I'll see if she can recommend one of the nurses.

Thanks for everyone's input and I'll let you know how I go.

Hi All,

I have now changed nurses. I've heard very positive things about this lady, she tells Mum's what she is supposed to but also speaks from experience as well.

I met with her briefly to make an appointment and swap over our records and was very impressed.

I'm feeling a lot more positive about taking Olivia to see her as with the other nurse I was ready to stop going altogether.

Sign in to follow this topic