Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

when will he hold toys? Rss

hi my little man is 3 months old and still hasn't started reaching or grabbing toys... when will this start?
my daughter is 5 yrs old and i can't remember when she did this
thanks in advance

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

Hi Aleks. My 6 month old daughter has only been grabbing things that were either put on her tummy or held out in front of her for the past month or so. Since she was about 6 weeks old I took advantage of what is called grasp reflex (where little babies automatically grab hold of things that are put into their hands, hold them for a short time and then let go of them involuntarily) by putting rattles, etc., into her hands. My theory of this is that it helped to develop her fine motor and hand/eye co-ordination. This may not be gospel, but you may like to try it with your little one. Don't worry though, they all develop at their own pace. Regards, Angela.

Angela, NSW

Hi Aleks - My little boy is three months old, too. He has just started to hold things when you put them in his hand and he swipes at the toys on the baby gym if they're in front of him. (with no real accuracy!) With my other kids they were about 3 - 4 months too. However, in the local chinese takeaway the other night, I saw a 3 month old baby lean forward and grab the credit card receipt out of her mums hand and shove it in her mouth!! I asked the mum how old she was, because she looked so tiny - and the mum said that's the first time she had ever done that! So, I guess it all depends on the child. Personally, I'm happy my baby isn't grabbing everything yet because my two year old just came in with a mouth full of dirt - Better go...

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

thanks for your replys, it sure does ease my mind that he isn't behind on things. But as you said each baby devolops at thier own rate.
I have been playing things in his hands and he just lets them go or throws them, involuntarily i guess.
LOL @ nyrrek. You sure brought a smile to my face smile
thanks guys

Aleks, SA, 5yr old girl, 9yr old boy&bubs 10.4.04

Sign in to follow this topic