Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Growth & Development
  5. 6Mth old not putting things in mouth

6Mth old not putting things in mouth Lock Rss

My DD will be 6 months in a couple of days and she doesn't put anything in her mouth. My DS had anything and everything in his mouth from 4 months-ish. She's got no interest in putting toys or anything in her mouth.

The only things she allows in her mouth are her fist, dummy or bottle (only with milk). Nothing else is allowed to enter her mouth, she just clamps her lips shut.

She spits at anything that passes her lips and she won't have a bar of food.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?

Ben 25/10/06 + Erin 10/9/08

Sometimes babies are hypersensitive inside their mouths, or on other parts of their body. It is a problem with sensory regulation. Does she dislike things touching her feet, hands or face? My first had hypersensitivity esp on her feet - she wouldn't put them on the floor without shoes. She still has 'issues' about clothing, socks etc bothering her - she is 15. If she says something is scratchy, i just forget her ever wearing it. If you think it is a problem an occupational therapist or speech pathologist may be able to help.

Hi, thanks for sharing.

Her feet are quite ticklish but not to the extent where she doesn't like them being touched.

Sometimes she will actually cry if something other than her 3 'allowed' items go in her mouth. One thing I've found too is that if I hold something smooth to her mouth she may explore it for a couple of seconds, but if its the slightest bit textured, she spits at it and clamps her mouth shut.

The community nurse made a referal to a speech pathologist the other day when she had her 6month check and needles. But she said there's a 3 month wait to get in.

Again thanks for your help and sharing your experience.

Hi again,

I am an OT and work with Speechies, if you like I will ask them what they recommend you do whilst you wait for your appointment - 3 months seems a little long to do nothing. It does sound like she is hypersensitive I must say. Let me know if you want me to ask.

Cheers

Thank you, that would be wonderful. It would be much appreciated.

Sounds great; wish my babies were like that!
Sign in to follow this topic