Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Help For Teething Bubba Lock Rss

Hi, I'm really hoping someone out there can help me. My little boy is 5mths and I suspect he's teething. I'm really just looking for advice from some other mums who have 'been there, done that' as he is v.miserable and I want to help him.
For the last 2-3 weeks he has begun to refuse his bottle once he only has 100ml to go (we start with 200ml). My health nurse suggested larger teats - no difference. He will eat his two solid meals without much fuss though.
His sleeping through the day has become a little erractic but nights are pretty normal.
He is very whingy and doesn't like to be left alone (playing of course!) or with anyone else - even Dad - for even the shortest time. And of course he is totally knawing on anything in sight! He has a 'gummy' and a couple of teething rings but refuses rusks. I have been trying 'teething relief' tabs from the chemist (not doing too much), bonjela (so-so) and last night for first time panadol (he didn't like too much and was so upset he threw it up so no result really!).
I know there prob isn't much moore I can do, but maybe someone out there knows of something else to help us both as I'm slowly going crazy. My partner works 12-13hr days so I'm alone all day and am just wanting my little boy to be happy again (and his mummy!!).
I'm also just a little unsure if it's normal for him to start disliking his milk feeds?
Thank you in advance to anyone able to help!

DSS 13yr, DS1 4yr, DS2 3yr

Hi Dessa

Sounds like you've tried it all!! Have you tried wetting a clean washer then putting in the freezer for 5 minutes then giving to bubba to chew. Thats the extent of my advice I'm afraid.

My baby boy is also 5 months and after 2 weeks of horrendous grizzling he cut a tooth today. Will was much the same as you described. He turned off his milk a bit as well but is loving his solids.

I know what you mean about going crazy and having a hubby that works long hours. Do you have family that could take him for a couple of hours to give you a break? Does a change of scenery take his mind off the teething? Will likes to go out in the pram for a walk.

Thinking of you.

Joh, Will's mum

Thanks for ur reply. Will try the washer tomorrow. I hope his tooth cuts soon! I have a friend with a 1yr old who tells me her daughter took months to cut!!!!
How is Will now his tooth is through? Does he take his milk better now? I know it's prob too soon to tell seeing as it only cut today, but am interested.
I have my mother close by who pops in a couple of times a week on her way home from work. She looked after him for me for approx 3hrs a few weeks ago, but that was b4 all this started & I guess I don't feel right leaving him when he's like this. That is the only time someone other than me or hubby has cared for him. Another thing he has strated doing is totally freaking out when other people talk to him or hold him. Even poor Nan cops it when she's over! I wonder if this has to do with the teeth thing or if it's possible for separation anxiety to show early?
Oh well, I guess only time will tell.
When was Will born? Jake was 22-10-04 at Redland Hospital.

Hi dessa,
Wow I am not looking forward to the whole teething thing. I have twin boys that were born 2 months early in Oct. What date was your little one born???
I am trying to remember back to when my daughter was little, but she was a horror know matter what.
I know roughly around the 5-6 month mark they go really funny with strangers. They cannot get enough of there mum. I remember my DD used to scream whenever DH came close to her. He got quite upset about it all.
It does though sound like you have tried alot and guess what you have another year and a half of it. (sorry)
It is so hard when they are miserable because you feel so sorry for them but sometimes there isn't much else you can try. I think it hurts them more when it moves under the gum then when it actually pokes through the skin.
Sorry I haven't been much help
Hope you have some good days soon.

Sydney,twin boys 22/10/04+girl 26/03/02

Hi Dessa,

With the milk refusal I found my Jack would cry inconsolably whenever I tried to b/f him while his teeth were cutting (he currently has two and I think there are more on the way). But this only lasted on the day he was cutting the tooth and then it went away. I also was able to give him some panadol which seemed to help and after about 20 mins he was happy to have a feed again.

I'm finding that Jack is trying to drop a feed during the day now he's on some solids - maybe that's why your bub isn't so interested in milk? Jack's about the same age as your bub (born 11-10-04) so maybe they're doing the same thing!

Good luck
Will was born on 30/10/04 in Armidale NSW so they are really close in age.

He has been a different little boy today- he's sleeping in the daytime again and much less whingey!! His teeth took 2 weeks to come through, don't know how I'd have coped with a month!!

He's still not as interested in his milk but I think part of it is to do with the fact that he loves his solids so much. He's having brekkie, lunch and dinner and 4 bottles a day.

Jake might be going through separation anxiety although they do get sooky and want lots of cuddles when they are teething. My youngest brother's name was Jake for 2 weeks, then Mum and Dad changed it to Luke!!

Hope the tooth comes soon, let me know how it goes.

Joh, Will's mum

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I know that there's not much else we can do but it's nice to chat with others who are going through the same thing or have been there recently.
Janelle - Wow, our bubbas were born on the same day!! Jake was born at 4:14am after a 4hr labour. Yes he was very fast - especially for a first. He was a week early, but we think the hosp. got the dates wrong as our scans showed 23rd. He is simply the best thing that's ever happened to me and even on the bad days I continue to think how lucky I am to have such a beautiful boy. Sook sook! How are ur angels going? Hope all is well.
Nicki & Joh - I think Jake is also maybe dropping a feed. He normally has 5 per day but today he's only had three & is due for his last of the day v. soon. I gave him lunch today for the first time - normally just brekkie and dinner. He loved it. I'm glad that's going well. He has still been a tad 'off' so to speak but a little better.
Joh - What does Will have for his meals? Jake has Heinz cereal with puree pear for brekkie, today had pear on own for lunch, and was having sweet potato (loved) but tried carrot today (also loved) for dinner. Also is he bottle fed? If so how much each feed - Jake will only take 100-130mls than absolutly refuse anymore!

Hi All,
My little girl was also born in October 2004 on the 26th! I'm so glad i came across you guys talking about teething cuz i think Izzy's starting to get a bit grizzly now and i'm getting worried! She's normally a pretty happy baby and sleeps alot and loves her bottles and solids but by reading your entries it sounds like all my hard work getting her into a routine will be gone!!
I work on thursday nites and friday days so my husband looks after Izzy but this week she just wouldn't go to sleep for him at all and was really whingy all day! So when i got home i gave her a bottle about 7pm and before she even finished it she was asleep and didn't wake up til 8.30am the next day!
My husband works all week except for the two days i work so i'm not sure whether she's just not use to her daddy looking after her or she just wants me all the time!!
I'd love to hear how you guys are doing with teething now and a little help when Izzy gets more into it!!

Michelle,NSW, Isabella 26/10/04, Charli 12/3/07

Hi Dessa

For breakfast he has pureed apples/pears/banana with a little bit of rice cereal in it to thicken it up a bit and give him some iron.

For lunch he'll have pureed vegies- he loves pumpkin, sweet potato, corn, carrot and even broccoli. I'm going to try him with vanilla yoghurt today. I'm yet to find something he doesn't like!! Little piggy.

For dinner he has vegies again or sometimes banana or apple custard.

I do a cook up on Sunday and freeze it in ice cube trays then put it into zip lock bag. So easy and convenient and much cheaper. When we were away I used Heinz bottles. He liked them as well.

Will is bottle fed and he's still having 4 bottles a day. Most of the time he drinks 200mls. He's a big boy. Is Jake big? Will is nearly 10kgs and 70cm long. He's just had a growth spurt. This time it was lengthways, thankgod!!

Talk to you soon.

Joh, Will's mum

Forgot to tell you Dessa that Will cut 2 teeth at once, no wonder he was miserable!!!

Joh, Will's mum

My 7 month old has just cut 2 teeth. She was quite unhappy for a few days and had panadol at night, but other then that she wasn't to disturbed by the whole event. My natropath friend told me to grate an apple and grind up 3 cloves and put the mixture into a sock or stocking tied up. Bubs love to suck and chew it and it has a numbing effect on the gums! Nice and natural!!! Also don't just assume it is his teeth- maybe a trip to the doc would rule out an ear or urinary tract infection or something else that could be bothering him.

DD#1- 2004, DD#2 -2006, DD#3 -23/10/08.

Hi Joh
I also cook once a week and freeze. So much cheaper and this way I know exactly what he's eating. At the moment he LOVES pears and carrots - not together of course!!!

I know this sound silly but do u by any chance use the Tupperware ice cube trays. I'm just curious to know how much Jake should be eating. He has two cubes at lunch, but I'm sure he'd take four, and three for dinner, once again i reckon he'd take more. i get one big heaped tsp in each block.

I had Jake weighed at 5mths (2wks ago) and he was 7.2kgs. We had probs at around 4mths where my milk just started to dry up and he wásn't gaining. After trying to get it flowing again I just succumbed to bottles, and I will admit we haven't looked back. He is a different boy now, much happier! He was 67cms at 5mths. As the health nurse said "he's just ur average joe".

He has been a little better the last couple of days. Not grizzling hardly and happier in general. Still not finishing all bottles though. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
Today he took a total of 660mls - not too bad really.
I'm happy if he has 600 per day.

I have tried to get in his mouth last couple of days but he won't let me. I swear I can see something (don't know what exactly) to the left of where the 1st two teeth should come through. Maybe nothing but I also thought he could be cross cutting? Any thoughts??

Sorry, have rambles on a bit here!!! Hope u and Will are well.

Sign in to follow this topic