Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Separation anxiety Rss

Can anyone help me? Mackenzie is 6 months old and I cant leave the room without her screaming, which she doesnt stop after 15 minutes. Even when her dad is with her she still screams. Sometimes she is okay for 10 minutes with her dad, but thats not very often. Today Im going to start leaving her with the neighbour for 15 minutes, which I know she will scream for about 14 minutes of it. Has anyone else been through this with there baby around the same age as Mackenzie or has any ideas of what I can try. I have read information on separation anxiety, but it mainly dealt with older kids, about 10 months old. I also want to know how long it it likely to take to get her used to being with other people or at least letting me leave the room to go to the toilet. Id be grateful for any suggestions

Mum to Mackenzie, Mia & Isla

Have you tried distracting her?? Bailey is 8 months old and hasn't been through sep anxiety yet, but he has been in Day Care since he was 2 months old, so i think that has helped a lot. I work in Child Care and we also encourage the mothers to leave something that may smell like them Eg. a T-Shirt, or pillow, or even a scarf that has your perfume on it.
Hope this may help

Mandy, Orange, NSW, 10 mths boy.

My daughter started this very hard stage around 7 months. It can be at its worst at 10 months which happened with Ella.
She is now 13 months old and is starting to get use to trusting other people..thank goodness.

My advice: make sure she is around people you want/need to leave her with as much as possible so she gets to know them. My mother and Ella have a wonderful relationship as they see each other nearly everyday, where as my MIL only sees her once a week/fortnight and Ella is only starting to kind of like her now.

Ella never liked being with her Dad when she was tired or sick, all she wanted was me which is quite hard to deal with, especially for Dad. The best thing he does when she gets whingy for me (and the same for his mother) is to distract her. We have a dog so they go out and pat the dog or they go and look at themselves in the mirror as Ella loves the mirror.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an easy soluation as it is a stage many babies go through and it's just part of their development, but I hope my suggestions can help smile

Louise, Brisbane Qld. Mum to Ella and Luca

Thanks Louise & Mandy for responding.
I have been leaving Mackenzie with my neighbour (started this week) she has stayed with her for 30 and 45 minutes, so thats pretty good. We have tried to put my nightshirt with her, when i went out (only been out once at night without her, and she had to be brought to me anyway), it didnt work. Once she gets crying she just gets so worked up and nothing will calm her down unless shes picked up. I guess Ill just have to put up with it and hope it doesnt last too long.

Mum to Mackenzie, Mia & Isla

Sign in to follow this topic