Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. runny/blocked nose???!!

runny/blocked nose???!! Rss

Hi everyone

My name is Elena and I have an 8 month old and I was just wondering if anyone out there has any tips on how to get my baby to blow his nose??!!!

helena- vic- ds-3.5 dd- 1

Hello Elena

As far as I know you have to clean their noses out with cotton buds you can buy baby ones that are really good!

I don't think they know how to blow their noses until much later in the mean time we have to try and wrestle with them to clear their little noses out

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Thank you so much Melissa for your quick response. I am only new to motherhood but I must admit i didnt think he can blow his nose from this age. I will try the cotton buds.. thanks again! wink

Hi Helen,
Try getting him to sneeze. I find it is the easiest way to clear the nose. Especially if it is runny. Try a very tiny amount of pepper on your finger held under his nose (not too close and not near his eyes), while he is drinking. As they breath through their nose while drinking, he will inhale the pepper and it will cause him to sneeze. don't use too much though, or he will sneeze too much. Sneezing clears the nasal passage from far back, where as cotton buds will only clean what you can see. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Hi Tracey

What a simple and great idea!!! Trying to make him sneeze should definately do the trick. I will try the pepper as soon as bubs wakes up. (he was awake half the night due to his blocked up nose, poor buby)Thank you Tracey for the good tip!!! wink

Hi Elena,
I don't have any idea's on how to get your bub to blow his nose but my little boy had a bad cold last week and was having trouble sleeping so we used a product called Euky Bearub. It is like Vick's but used for babies. It helped clear his airway's almost straight away
Hope this is of some help
Stacey and Cody

StaceyW.A Cody(Son)10/7/03Jordyn(Daughter)25/11/04

Hi Stacey and Cody

I asked for the Euky at the chemist today but it wasnt in stock, the pharmacist suggested to maybe use decongestant capsules called karvol. They are a similar type of thing to Euky but capsules that you snip the tip off and rub its contents onto a handkerchief or baby's singlet etc it contains pine oil and menthol. anyway it seems to already have done the trick. James is breathing alot easier.

Thank you Stacey!! wink

Sign in to follow this topic