Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

coughing... Rss

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has a cure for coughing, or any natural things that may help my sons throat.

His cough seems to wake him, it is still very dry at the moment, and i hope it doesn't turn nasty.

Thanks for any tips,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe

My son still has his cough from the cold that started last Saturday when we were supposed to go to the big 'Central Coast Meet'. Last Monday I went to the pharmacy to get something for his cough, but by then he was quite congested. Apparently it's not good to use cough supressants for babies. The pharmacist recommended Dimetapp infant drops to help dry it up but it didn't work. So I ended up having to take him to the doctor the next day as he was getting worse and the doctor said it was brochiolitis, to cut a long story short he ended up on antibiotics a couple of days later as the cough just wasn't going away and now it's nearly cleared up. I didn't want him to have the antibiotics but he was so sick and wasn't eating. It might be worth a trip to the doctor before it gets too bad. Sorry this probably isn't much help. I hope he gets better soon.

All the best
Jasmine
Hi Tepe,

My son, Nicholas, had the same as Jasmines son, so i took him to the chemist & got the same reply. However, there is a Dimetapp peadiatric drops for coughs & colds that you can use.(The chemist didn't tell me this, a friend did). I went back to the chemist( different one) & got them & it helped his cough straight away. It was almost non existant after 2 doses. However it does say on the box not to give to children under 2 without medical advice. The lady at the pharmacy asked the chemist if it was ok to give & he said yes. I suggest you check with your GP before you give them,(i never as i had given him Dimetapp plenty of times before & I was quite comfortable with the chemist recommending them) jsut to put your mind at ease. My son is 13.5months old & he never had any probs, & was much better for it.
Hope this helps in some way, & that your boy is feeling better soon.
Regards

Michelle - Mum to 2

hi Tepe
my son and i have both just gotten over colds.
although his wasnt as bad as mine, he was still uncomfortable.
what i found worked really well to help his blocked nose and and ease his cough for a short while was the new vicks baby balsam. i bought it from the chemist for $10.15 only to find it in woolworths $3 cheaper the next day, so opt for the supermarket!
you can only use it on babies older than 3 months and you cant put it on their face(but the directions didnt stop bubs gran from doing just that...) but what i did after putting it on his chest and back, which he absoulutly loved, i would hold my fingers up near his nose for a few seconds so he could breath it in and he had instant relief.

this stuff isnt just for colds either. they say it can be used to help relax your baby. its got lavender and rosemary in it. anyway my little lachie loved having it put on him. i hope this helps, even though it was a cough you wanted to know about! but with coughs, comes a runny/blocked nose!

good luck!
Kylie

Thanks so much for your ideas everyone smile

I had a feeling there was nothing (in theory) for bubs with coughs.

Would you believe it though, last night i gave him dimetab, and no more cough, well no where near as much. So tonight i didn't bother, and lets just hope it's the change of the season or something and things will get better.

I will be definately going out to buy some of that baby vicks though, for both my two.

Thanks again, wink

Tepe

Hi Kylie

I didn't know there was a baby vicks - I'll have to look out for it just in case my little Lachie gets the sniffles again! I didn't want to use the 'adult' version as I wasn't sure how safe it was.

Thanks
Jasmine smile
Jasmine,
You can get the baby vicks at chemist and supermarkets, cheaper at supermarket though.
I spoke to the chemist last week and he told me that they used vicks on their kids when they were young as there wasn't anything else made for babies. He thought that the makers of Tixylix and Euky Bear say you can't use vicks so you buy their products (his opinion).
But he told me that probably err on the side of caution and don't put vicks directly on bubs skin maybe put in on singlet instead.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi Tepe

My baby isn't too well right now either (it's seasonal because all my friends are experiencing the same thing)

My couz (thanks Liz) is a pharmacist and she recommended a humidifier (the only brand is TAAV but it's about $50), Narium (nasal drops) and Demezin (keep baby panadol on hand so you don't have to use the Demezin too often as it causes a laxative effect which can't be too good when hydration is of utmost importance during a cold).

However, medicines all add up and if $$$ is a bit of problem (as with most families on one income) stick with Baby Panadol and the Narium Nasal Drops - they work just as good).

Once you run out of the Narium you might be able to make your own mix of salt and water and just use the Narium dropper container but please check with your Dr first as I haven't had confirmation of this yet and I'm not sure of the salt/water ratio.

Hope all is well by the time you read this message (however, i thought it would be helpful to other new mums)

Cuddles
Damsel

Daniella, Sydney, 15 month old

Hi Damsel,

Thanks for the ideas. Although my sons cough does seem to be slowly improving, i will keep all those ideas in my memory bank for next time,

Thanks again for your reply,

Tepe

Sign in to follow this topic