Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. Swollen Lymph Node??! Worried..

Swollen Lymph Node??! Worried.. Lock Rss

About 5/6 weeks ago my husband notice a small lump a bit smaller than a pea on the back of my 11 month old sons neck.. the next day I took him to the doctors where he was checked over. The doctor said it's a swollen lymph node, he was checked for more and she checked his tummy, she didn't suspect anything synister and it was very movable so probably his body fighting an infection of some sort (but he hadn't had a cold for a while). She also said as he has eczema and often has flare ups it could be because of that.
She told me it does take a while to go down.

So it's been some time now and it's still there.. Sometimes it feels a little smaller, sometimes a little larger. He has no other signs of something serious like sleeping more (quite the opposite, he still wakes a few times a night), he has never been seriously sick and has never ran temperatures or had a bug! He has had a mild chest infection though. He does have some sinus problems and snorts during the day and snores at night sometimes while sleeping.

HAS anyone else had a bub with swollen lymph node that stuck around for some time??

Hi there, my second daughter had one at birth, it has just about disappeared now - she is 6 months old next week. I took her to the doctor and she said it was a swollen lymph node. I was also told that it is nothing sinister. It has taken quite a while to go away, but I have mentioned it more than once to the doctor and she still says it isn't anything to worry about. She also suffers from eczema so I wonder if that has anything to do with it?
Hi, my DS had a swollen Lymph node, he was 2 and it appeared overnight and was really quite big, i took him into the doctor the same day and they put him straight on antibiotics, which cleared it up really quickly - within a few days, there were no other signs that he was sick or anything so it was a bit strange, and it hasn't happened since. I would have thought they would have given him antibiotics as it's a sign of infection? Not quite sure if that's exactly right though. Hope it clears up soon for your DS smile

Hi, DS has the same. It comes and goes, sometimes it is there for a day or 2, sometimes it is there for weeks, but its there majority of the time. He gets them on the back of his head around the top of the neck and also the glands under his ears swell up. Our dr checks them everytime we go, but he told us not to worry unless we think they are causing DS pain or they get very large. He also said they are a way to tell if you LO is fighting an infection/virus, which now that I know that I can ensure he isn't going to get sicker - I avoid swimming, sick family members, etc.

Thanks heaps ladies! It's great to know it is normal which is something else the doctor said. She said it's quite common and they can go up and down. She said if it gets bigger or I notice more, then come back and see her. Sometimes I think it's bigger and then I get hubby to feel and he can't feel the change.I worry so much about my family and our health and I have anxiety which doesn't help at all and makes things alot worse than what they really are (me thinking it's bigger etc) so I am constantly looking for reassurance!

DS has an appt with a different doctor for his needles on Friday so I will ask again then and maybe ask for him to be put on AB's to see if that clears it up.

My 5 year old has had one since he was about 6 mths old. It's still there now. I had one as a kid too. My doc said as long as it stays movable and doesn't grow too much, don't stress.
Hi my DS also had one, we were sent for an ultrasound and it turned out to be a fatty lump. My partner also has one one the back of his neck which has always been there. Nothing so sinister but did have us worried to start with.

Hi my DS also had one, we were sent for an ultrasound and it turned out to be a fatty lump. My partner also has one one the back of his neck which has always been there. Nothing so sinister but did have us worried to start with.

I think I will mention investigating it further on Friday if the doctor tries to shrug it off again.I mean, I'm probably overly worrying as usual.. He plays hard, eats heaps and hardly sleeps so I'm sure he's fine.

Sign in to follow this topic