Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Weening Rss

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how long a baby should be at the breast. I know people who say only the first 3 months but health professionals say at least 12 months. My plan was to feed my baby for the first 12 months, then see what happens after that. I know people who are still feeding their children at 5, but i think that's a bit too much. I probably won't go over 2. Just seeing what other people think of it.

mother to Hannah born August 9 2003

The choice of when to wean is yours and yours alone and in the end it comes down to what feels right for you.
Don't be pressured by others.Breastfeeding should be enjoyable and you should continue for as long as you and your baby wish.

I breastfed my first child for 25 months,my second for 30 months and have just weaned my 34 month old son this week and although at times it was a little demanding and sometimes even embarrassing,when they would ask for titty or booby in front of others.(I often received a look of disgust or disapproval from people who thought I was some kind of sicko.)

I just wanted to give my kids a good start and figured as long as it wasn't bothering me or my hubby why care what anyone else thinks.

PS .Once they were into their second year ,feeds were only usually during bedtime or when the kids were unwell.

Julie~mum to Jordyn-12,Jai-9,Eli-5,Kayne-10months!

Hi Jade,
I agree with Jordy. It is your and your baby's decision. You may find that your baby will wean him/her self. I breast fed all 3 of my kids. My first son wanted more than I was supplying, so he was weaned at 7.5 months. My daughter bit me and drew blood. That really hurt, so she was weaned at 7 months. My last son, has just weaned himself in the last week. He is 9 months. He just decided that he was no longer interested in it and went straight on to cows milk (50%milk, 50% boiled water), in a cup. It is entirely up to you and your baby, and how long you feel comfortable with. Take each day as it comes and make your decision when the time is right.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Sign in to follow this topic