Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. How many bottles should a six month old be having?

How many bottles should a six month old be having? Rss

My six month old is now on solids. He has 2 solid meals a day although I'm thinking of changing it to 3. I was wondering if anyone knew how much formula he should still be having. At the moment, I make up bottles of 250ml (although he only sometimes drinks it all) and he has 5 bottles a day, but I am finding he is getting less and less interested in the bottle... Is 3 bottles enough a day? also he only has about 2 tablespoons of cereal and fruit in the morning and 2 tablespoons of vegies in the afternoon and doesnt seem interested in eating more. I just hope he is getting enough vitamins and minerals etc for a growing baby.
Hi Mel,

My 6 month old is having 4 milk feeds and 3 solid feeds per day. The milk feeds were all over the place until I got her into a breakfast, lunch and tea routine. The milk feeds are between meals. But remember every baby is different.

Pamela, SA, mum to Lisa 23.10.03

Up to 8 mths my son was drinking 5 bottles of 240ml formula plus 3 solids. Now he is on 4 bottles. If you are concerned about the vitamin intake you might want to move him to progress formula. Cereal is iron fortified. So he should be getting the required iron intake. Have you introduced meat yet as this will give him an iron boost! I'm not sure whether 3 bottles a day for his age is sufficient. What does your M& H N say?
my six and half month boy is now on 3 bottles and 3 solid feeds a day. We have only been doing this for a week now and everything seems to be going well. I found trying to fit in the milk feeds half and hour after he ate and sometime before he slept very hard.

I think it might depend on when you started solids??? Not sure because im only a first time mum. My theory is focus on the food (if they will eat it) as soon it will be their main source.

take care and im sure all will be fine

michelle, mom to maxwell (11.03) & isaac (10.05)

Hi there,
I was given some really handy pamphlets in hospital on feeding babies, one by Heinz, the other by Weet-Bix. Both state that the recommended amount of breast milk or formula for a six to nine month old is approx 700ml a day and three solid meals.
My doctor also said the same thing.
Sounds like you're doing a great job. I'm sure if he wasn't getting enough he'd let you know.
Hope this helps.
Laura

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Thanks everyone for your replies, they were very helpful! Well I think i will take it as it comes, at the moment hes on 4 -5 bottles a day and two small meals although he is starting to eat a bit more, so will probably just take it down to 4. Like you said I'm sure he'll let me know if he's still hungry!
Hi everyone,
Christian is 6 months and has 4-5 bottles a day (depending on his mood) of 180 mls and 3 solids a day, in the morning he has around 2 tablespoons of rice cereal, at lunch he'll have (equivelant to a little tin) of fruit and at dinner he'll have (equivelant to a little tin) of veggies. I haven't introduced meats yet, but will be doing it soon. He's getting really frustrated with his bottles and doesn't want them at all now, he only wants food!!!! Does this mean he wants to cut a bottle out? I'm just taking it all day by day now.
Francia
My bub was having 3-4 bottles of approx 200ml, with 3 solid feeds per day
Sign in to follow this topic