Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Ear piercing & babies Rss

Just wondering what everyone's opinion is regarding having babies' ear's pierced.

Yesterday I saw my 9 month old niece (hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks) and the first thing I noticed was that she'd had her ears pierced.

I wasn't expecting it and I got a shock when I saw these cute little studs in her ears. Without thinking, I blurted out "Oh my god...what have you done to her?"

I think my SIL took offence. I asked if she cried when she had it done and my SIL said "only for a couple of minutes". Their reason for having it done, I think, was so that it's over and done with... and she won't be sooky about having it done when she's older!!

I don't want to be judgemental about this. I know lots of other cultures have their baby girls ears pierced quite young. To me it just didn't look right, seeing these sparkly little studs in a little baby's ears. It seems mean to inflict uneccessary pain on a little baby. And I worry about whether or not it could be dangerous; that she may pull at them or get them caught on something, etc.

My 4 year old daughter asked a few months ago if she could have her ears pierced and I told her she could, but it hurts a little bit. She decided not to.

So how do others feel about this issue?
Michelle
Michelle,

I feel exactly the same way as you - wit till they are old enough to ask to have it done.....

I had two in each ear by the time I was 7 smile

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

hello
its interesting you bring this up, because before i had Tasmin i was going to get her ears done when she was about 2/4 weeks old (i was told this was a better age cos they dont move!!).
she is now 20 months and i havent thought of it until i read this !!! and for the record i have changed my tune on this, she can have it done when she ask's.
im not againest others doing it, everyone to their own i think, i spend a lot of money on clothes for my little one to look nice and trendy, some might think that ear percing looks nice and trendy!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

well im going opposite to u all.

both my daughters had there ears pierced after there first set of needles at 2 mths old. that what my doc recommended.
i think its a whole lot better. they dont cry much when there done. they wont play with it to make it become infected. they look heaps cuter with there ears pierced and i had it done for free from a doc. where as if u do it at a chemist u will have to pay like $20. i dono if they changed it now.

so i think go for it. u will not regret it.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

Hello all,

In my opinion ear piercing a child is a cruel form of torture. Even though they say a baby will forget, but for that moment when the ear is pierced the baby screams and screams. I experienced this a couple of weeks ago in a chemist, when a baby had gotten her ears pierced and screamed then her mother started to cry and cry. I don't know why a mother would want to put her child through that!! All for the sake of LOOKS! We live in a world built on what a person looks like and trends. Its time to get over it!! Wait until the child is ready and willing to take the pain. Make sure its THEIR CHOICE!!

So Michelle i totally agree with you!

Mum to Vanessa (April 03)

ok but the thing is the older they get the more scared they will be. yeah the kids might cry when they get them done but for how long 5 mins then they go to sleep.

and what u dont think that the older kids dont cry or get hurt if u think its torture fom so young then its torture when there older aswell wether they want it or not.

at lest if they get it done earlier they dont have to go through with it later so its all over and done with.

Salwa, 2 girls, sydney

why bother? i had mine done at 10 just with a needle it hurt like hell & i had nothing other than problems with the infections etc i had them done again at 15 it was not too bad with the gun but i would not have a babys done what about a ;ittle boy? i have seen that too think thats sick

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

My opinion is, I think keep the babies as babies - they grow up so fast anyway. Earrings on babies just does not look right. You can make a baby girl look very cute for special occasions by putting a nice gold or silver baby bracelet on her wrist. Some people never get their ears pierced, and that is their choice. I will be waiting for my little girl (16 months) to ask herself, I will allow her to do so but will tell her that it will hurt but she will get over it. Then, she knows what she is doing, she will be expecting it to hurt and it is her decision. It is not as if it hurts that bad, and, if you are one to immunise, they are still getting their needles when they are older, so what is the difference? Ear piercing hurts just like needles do.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

i dunno i am on the fence

i agree it looks cute and i've thought about getting eilishs done (shes 24months) but most places around where i live wont do a child under 4 or 5 so... i reconcidered.

in my opinion PLEASE DONT GET OFFENDED MY OPINION PEOPLE>>>

whats the difference in getting your son circumsised???

another arguement... thats a touchy subject...

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

please bear in mind that I do not know what your opinion is on circumcision so please do not take offence, but, i feel that the difference between circumsision and ear piercing is fairly different, that being ear piercing is only for cosmetic appearances and circumcision is for health reasons. For fear of offending others and because this topic is about ear piercing, i would prefer not to elaborate my opinion any further about circumsision.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

lindab

just trying to make a point some people said that getting a childs ears peirced was something they'd never do. and that its torture.. and crap like that

circumsision back in the old days was medical and hygeinic reasons but now its looked on as more "cosmetic"

i really dont have an opinion on circumcision to be all honest. some people like it some people dont. but it is more a cosmetic thing now days little boys are taught to clean it properly. but enough about that.

i dont take offence to anything. as all that matters to me in my opinion i aint petty in worrying about what you think of me for my opinion.. so dont stress on that one. my opinion is mine alone.. and i dont mind at all. so feel free to say anything you like you cant hurt my feelings very easily at all.

i think it is cute and what ya want to do to your own child (with in reason of course) is appropriate as a mother knows best. noone can tell you how or what to do with your own child. you as a mother know whats in the best interests of your children and so on and so forth..

keep up the good mothering ladies.

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

MY OPINION ONLY - PLS DON"T TAKE OFFENCE
I think you have a very sensible view Linda - if they're old enough to ask, then they're old enough to be told that it will hurt and make their own decision.
Also, in this very material world they're putting little girls in bras and makeup, why can't our babies just stay babies?
My 11 year old wants her ears pierced, and I will let her, but atm she is half way thru a set of surgical procedures on her eardrums. She will have them done when the surgeries are complete.
As for Maya (17 mths) I don't even want to think about it. She's got years to grow up, I'm just enjoying her being a toddler.

Mum to Maya Grace 02-03, Sienna & Mercedes 10-06

Sign in to follow this topic