Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Vaccuum Cleaner Phobia!!

Vaccuum Cleaner Phobia!! Rss

Can anyone help me out with my 9 month old being absolutely petrified of the vaccuum cleaner! As soon as I turn it on, she starts screaming and crawling really fast away from it. I have tried getting her interested in toys in a separate room, putting a video on etc etc. Any help PLEASE?????
Hi Belinda,
My 9 month old son is exactly the same. So i cant vcuum when he is awake and when he goes to sleep i dont want to turn it on incase he wakes up! Makes cleaning the floors a bit hard doesnt it? I have also tried putting him in another room with toys , but it doesnt last long and i cant hear him with the vacuum on. I hope it is just a loud noise they will get used to soon.
Sorry I dont have any advice , but i would love some to if any one knows:)

baby boy

Ditto to all of the above. Even the blender makes him cry. I have to vacuum when he is out with dad.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

James was exactly the same (he's 17 months now). I used to put him in the backpack and vaccuum that way, or hold him in one arm and vacuum with other. (Hey had to do it when Hubby worked away!).

But it's only been in the last couple of months that he got over it. I found it helped to have my Husband holding him, and later on just being with him and comforting him - in the meantime he could still see what I was doing. It was gradual, but he has got a little used to it now, but still not 100% confident with it.

He used to crawl after the old one, but was terrified when the new one came on the scene. The new one is louder and probably slightly different noise I guess. But I think it's mainly the loudness that does it. Well on that thought you could try ear muffs - on the kid not yourself! Just an idea I never thougt of before but the trick would be keeping them on wouldn't it?

Let them play around it while it's turned off, it may help a bit.

Otherwise, sorry can't offer any help. Just one of those things they have to get used to eventually.
And I found that I can vaccuum when he's asleep sometimes even in his room without waking him, but have to pick the right time of course, not close to when he may be in a light sleep or close to waking up!

Hey good luck anyway!

Kristina, Mum of James 3yrs & Matilda 14 months

My 9 month old son is the same, he use to not mind the vacume but in the last couple on months he screems when I turn it on.
I normally have to vacume when he is asleep, normally at night as lesser chance of him waking up. Or if I have to do his room I normally hold him while I vacume, it's not easy and not as good job.
I have just thought next time I might try vacuming while he is in his highchair having a bottle, It might work???

He has also suddenly become scared of the shower so maybe it's just part of growing up.

Good luck

Tineka, Mum to Hamish 3yrs, Abby 1yr & 1due 10/04

Hi mums
Maybe when they get a little bit older you could buy them a toy vacuum and they can vacuum with you?
I guess for now though there might not be much you could do, but they should grow out of it
Hi everyone,

my 10month old was the same! she hated vacuum cleaners! Recently i decided to try to make it into a game for her so she wouldn't be scared and it seems to be working!

I try to take as much of the vacuum noise away as possible by turning up a stereo (i know its just replacing one noise with another but it seems to be more soothing) or i try to do it while a favourite tv programme is on and turn that up louder. I hold her in one arm while i do it and sing and dance as i do it to keep her distracted! Its a good work out but i have found it successful! The more i do it the less scared she is and she finds it really funny now!

I also used to leave it out for abit after i had finished so she could inspect it and get to know it abit better!

Hope it helps! It sure keeps me fit anyway!
She also has a little toy vacuum cleaner that she loves, you can turn it on and it lightly sucks things up, its not as noisy but it gets them used to it!
Hi there

This is a long shot but worth a try.

Take your child for a ride on the vaccuum, if your child learns that it is a fun thing, she may start getting used to it.

All the best

2 Under 1

my 4 yr old covers his ears with his hands si it never stops i think they get scared of the noise

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

hello
i just wanted to say that my little 1 yr old was fine with the vaccum cleaner until last weekend when i forgot to unplug it while i went to the loo. she was playing with it and turned it on and started screaming and well now all my good work went out the window.
i had made (as best as i could) sure that i had music/tv up when she was sleeping and vaccumed around her from day one. its funny how quickly that can be undone!!
i will be trying the suggestion of cleaning with the tv/music up loud, i want someone to pull me around on the vaccum that sounds like fun!!

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Oh bubatuz you have made my night. I want a ride, too. That is so funny. I have the opposite problem. My 2 yr old wants to vaccuum every time I need to do the floors. He winges until I let him have a go! Mind you my 5 and 9 year olds both regularly vaccuum their rooms so he's just getting in some practice. I sure could get it done faster without him though!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

hello nyrrek
you are one lucky lady! i would let them fight it out and take photos! i bet the minute you stop tring to get the vaccum off him he wont be interested! if only your 2yr old could pick up the funiture and vaccum underneath them!! LOL

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

Sign in to follow this topic