Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Sore red nose Rss

Hi mummies,

Just wondering if anyone has some ideas for my sons red, sore nose. It is that bad now that it is a holding down to clean his nose. It is very dry and thick! It has even broken the skin in one place, poor bubba!

I have heard of using saline, does anyone know about it??

I use creams but they don't last long with a running nose!

Thanks everyone,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Tepe. I find Bepanthen very good for dry and sore skin. I use it on Bradley's excema and it helps quite alot.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi Tepe

My five month old has developed a bad cold, so I took him to the doctor and she advised me to get some nasal spary to clear his nose.

It is called FESS nasal spray, and it is non medicated saline solution.

I found it very helpful for his runny nose, also really good for blocked noses. I'm not sure if it will help your sons red, sore nose.

I would ask your pharmasist first though.

The only other thing is maybe vaseline.

All the best

2 Under 1

Hi,

Thanks mummies for the responses!

I think i will try the Fess spray!

I already use Bepanthen, but it is hard to keep on his nose long enough to do any good!

It seems a tadge better today! smile

Tepe

Hi

When my daughter had a congested nose recently I used FESS Little Noses saline drops and they were excellent. You put several drops of saline in babies nostrils then suction out the mucus with an aspirator which comes in the box. It was a challenge holding baby down (especially since she hates when I try to wipe her face/nose on a good day!) - I had to have someone's help! Anyway, I recommend this product.

Good luck

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Thanks Lili for that explanation. Here i was thinking i would be pouring liquid down his nose, or something crazy like that! That sounds good.

Tepe

try the fess it works on the runny/blocked nose to soothe try lucas pawpaw ointment or nutrimetics nutrich oil

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

WOW, i can't believe you mentioned the nutri metics, nutri rich oil! I actually have that. My son is in bed now, but i will try it tomorrow!

Thanks VKW,

Tepe

Hi Tepe,

I might be a bit late here suggesting these things, but you can keep them in mind if it happens again...

Try taking your bub into the bathroom with you when you have a shower, steam is great for congestion and really helps to get things moving.

Also if you put a layer of vasaline around the nose and nostri area after each wipe it will reduce the amount of irritation to the skin and allow it to heal underneath.

My GP highly recommends that Fess spray too.

Plus one other things try using baby wipes or a warm damp face washer instead of tissues to wipe bub's nose, tissues can be a bit harsh.

Hope this helps next time,

Michelle
some of the cheaper tissues contain a metho like product which can be very drying on the skin and actually cause more irratation

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Thanks Michelle and Chelby,

I only use the aloe vera tissues from kleenex, which are great. My daughter never seems to get a red nose, just my son. 50% of the time i use a wet warm washer, then use an apricot oil, or a barrier cream or the vaseline.

Thankfully, he is pretty good at the moment. I like the bathroom idea, i will definately be trying that one next time.

Thanks for the ideas,

Tepe

Sign in to follow this topic