Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Discipline Rss

Can someone help me control my little one? I am afraid that he will never listen to me. He will always touch everthing I dont want him to touch- cord from the back of the fridge, power points, t.v, vertical blinds, everything! I dont want to be one of those mums who let them touch everything because they dont like saying no to their child. Everytime I say no, even if I yell no and give him a cross face, he doesnt care! He will keep doing it. All of my friends from mothers group, when they say no in a loud voice to their babies they cry. I have even tried to tap his hand a few times when he has gone to touch something a number of times. But he will just laugh, bless him! Im hoping one day he will learn. Will he?? Can someone tell me what I can do! I know he is just a baby!

michelle, mum of jackson 13-02-03

I found this with my son too! What I did that worked was smacked him harder on his hand! In no time at all he listened when I said "NO"! I am always getting comments on how well behaved he is!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

hi, one thing that i do to disipline my eldest daughter is i tell her not to touch and then if she does i send her to her room or punish her by not letting her have a certain toy. she now knows that when i say dont touch i mean it. she usually comes out of her room after a few minutes saying sorry mummy, and then we have a kiss and cuddle.
good luck, disipline is an ongoing thing and it certainly is hard work.
louise
Thankyou Louise,
But Im not sure thats going to work just yet as Jack is not 11 months yet. How old was your daughter before you started to do that?
Thanks again.

Hi

I would have to agree with mum78 my little one has just turned one. From the age of 9 months when he started to crawl the uh-unts began or Nos. But as with everything it didn't matter how many times we said he would just go and do it. But as soon as we have him 2 warnings then a smack on the hand he learnt quick. He is very well behaved and we dont need to discipline him a lot but we are consistant same punishment everytime.

Good luck.

Mum to 5 amazing gifts from God. 3 girls 2 boys

Thankyou sweet angel,
Ive been trying the 2 warnings and a smack on the hand. I cant say that he is learning quick but he is getting there. And doing it a bit harder does help.
I never imagined I would have to do this. But I suppose every baby is different.
Thank-you for your advice.

hi, i didn't realise that your little boy was so young, kelly, my eldest daughter was at least 20months old before she understood me. i think that it is hard trying to disipline kids when they don't understand you. maybe a shock might deter him from touching things, maybe bang something loudly when he touches the blinds and say, see i told you not to touch?? i'm sure that you will figure it out in your own way, good luck!!
a friend used to say to her daughter not for kelly rather saying no all the time it worked and she is now a good 4 year old my boys get a smack on hand or bum even the baby who is 15 moths old yelling doesnt work the community nusre told another friend that the smacks were not hard enuogh as her son would laugh he was pulling hairs and her advice was to pull his hair quite hard

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

This might sound funny but I use the same training with my son that I used on my dogs! If the forceful 'NO' doesn't stop him I utter a loud "BAHHH" Something like a growl and he stops right away! However he often gives a grin and heads for the offending object at high speed. Then I give him a tap on the hand and move him away. He is fascinated by cords so I do my best to hide them. Our aerial cord runs along the floor so it is now covered with gaffer tape! Not the best decorating idea but it works. I have found the easiest way is to remove all dangerous temptaions as little ones seem to have a danger magnet in them along with their dirt magnet! Good luck.
Hi everyone, thanx for all your advice. Jackson is now 1! He definantely understands the word no now. And listens more now to my no's and smacks. So I dont really have to do it now. My health nurse told me not to waste my time that he wouldnt understand untill 18 months. I am glad that I started to say no straight away. And yes it does help just to take away the cause aswell.
Thanx again...
Michelle and Jackson.

Sign in to follow this topic