Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Allergy to Shampoo Rss

Hi, can anyone help me? My 2 yr old daughter gets an allergic reaction on her scalp (eczema/dermatitis) when I use the standard baby shampoo on her. The only shampoos that I have found that don't irritate her scalp are for adults - and these hurt her eyes (I have tried using goggles and a flannel to protect her eyes).
I'm looking for a baby shampoo that is free of the following: colour, perfume / essential oils, sodium lauryl sulphate.
I am also looking for a baby conditioner and a child / adult sunblock with the same specifications.
Any suggestions that you may have, would be very helpful as I have tried just about every avenue I can think of.

Wgtn NZ

Hi Hedghog0604,

My 3 month old son was having problems with baby shampoos (rashs etc) and we were told by our doctor to wash his hair and body in Baby Sorbolene Cream only. This has done the trick and if i ever wash him with shampoo or baby wash it flares up again. I have also had eczema problems in the past and was told by our doctor to only use sorbolene cream and never soap and it does work.

Hope this helps,
Hi Kristy
Thanks I will look into that, I also have ultra sensitive skin but can't remember if I have an allergic reaction to this one - once I go to the chemist and see the packaging I will know. Good luck with you and your son.

Wgtn NZ

There is a company called 'Nature's Organics'. They're an Aussie company and make sorbeline as well as washing liquid and dish washing liquid for sensitive skin. All ingredients are plant derived and they're resonably priced. Their website is :www.naturesorganics.com.au
I use their products and find them good.
cool, thanks for that. i will take a look at there web site

Wgtn NZ

Hello,

I was reading through your message and related to your dilemma, OUr son Daniel also seemed to have eczema on his face. Fortunately we were told about a range of products that don't have any of the harsh chemicals in them. They are Free of Sodium laurel sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate and propylene Glycol which as you might know are all harsh commercial chemicals used due to being so cheap. Daniel's face is better and I dread to think what it would be like if we were using these other shampoos. IF you would like info on the products we are using on Daniel. I would be happy to share them with you.

Wishing you success with your baby.

Proud Dad of Daniel Brayden Born 7th July

Hi Proud Dad of Daniel
I'm pleased to hear that Daniels face is much better. Yes that information would be much appreciated, because I am always on the look out for products that both my daughter and I can use.

Wgtn NZ

try nutrimetics olc it good 4 sensitive skini hve used it in the bath with my 3 boys

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

thanks, I will look into that.

Wgtn NZ

you dont really need a hair conditioner for kids. unless they get alot of knots in their hair.something you could try in place of hair conitioner is get a water spray bottle and fill it with water and mix in some conditioner then u just spay their hair to brush out knots
or you could use a leave in spray conditioner , with the sprays u are in control of it so it cant get in their eyes.
what shampoo does (adults sham) it removes all dead skin cells and opens the hair cuticle for it to be cleansed of all dirt and oils. as kids dont get their adult hair until 4-8 yrs of age they dont need as much cleansing of their hair as we do.
have you tried any of the QV products?
www.egopharm.com.au
its worth a look anyway.
hope this helps smile

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

i've seen a thing you can buy. its like a donut and its especially for stopping shampoo going into kids eyes. i think it was in kmart. it was plastic like a shower cap just with a hole in the middle. and a brim at the front and sides

you can also get these shampoo hats from the homecare cataloges

Sign in to follow this topic