Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Caring for your Baby
  5. Who does bell clamp Circumcision in melbourne?

Who does bell clamp Circumcision in melbourne? Rss

Im thinking very seriously about circumcising my 5 month old boy, but would prefer the the relatively more painless bell clamp method that is being performed. Does anyone know where in Melbourne do they do this? Any info would be much apreciated.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

whats the difference? its still gonna hurt him the only way its not for the time being is him being put to sleep. whats the difference in the method? have you got any sites with information about this???

Narelle, Eilish 5th june 2002 TTC since dec 2002

Hi jz if you click on the Advanced Search in the left had side and then enter Circumcision you will find an excellent post on this from May 03. This goes for over 2 pages with all the pros and cons. There is a Dr Terry Russell in Mt Gravatt QLD who uses the bell clamp method. He sees patients from all over Australia at his practice. Good luck with what you decide is best for you!
Sorry, I don't have any info on where you can get it done....have you asked your hospital? My son was done with the bell clamp! The only pain he had was the needle to numb the area after that no cries!! I was so scared after remembering my brother being done and the screaming for days after but after this my son just slept and ate and did his pees with no change what-so-ever, it's like he hadn't felt a thing!
I asked at my hospital and a nurse gave me the name of a doctor here that did it....try your hospital!

Best wishes

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

I dont know about anyone else, but in my opinion circumcision is terribly cruel. While I was pregnant, my husband said if we had a boy he definately wanted it done as it was 'hygienic'and he wanted him to look the same as him. I didnt like the idea at all and we were constantly butting heads over the issue. But as soon as our baby boy entered the world, my husband could not think of anything worse than making our son go through that horrific pain. As our midwife in prenatal class said 'you guys take a pair of pliers, grab the end of your penis and pull!' because thats what it feels like to a baby. I'm not against mothers who choose to circumcise their boys. But who are they really doing it for, themselves or the child?
I did it for my child as all my decisions concerning them...never for myself or hubby!! I understand that description relating to the old way of circumcising but not this new bell clamp way! I have heard of many boys being done and not having any trouble with then crying in pain! They feel nothing because of the needle that numbs the area!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Circumcision is a personal choice. No mother would EVER intentionally harm her child if she did not do it with their best intrests at heart. My son was circumsised at 3 weeks and with the bell clamp method. He was fine. I had already seen my nephew done.

I know too many older boys who, after the trends changed against circ, had infections or foreskins not stretching and had to get it done at 3, 7 even 15 years old. Now what would people prefer? The 15 year old I knew, the drugs to prevent him from getting erections did not work and he busted the wound twice. Now that is more traumatic than the reletively quick and painfree operation received nowadays.

I understand some of the horror stories of old - the father of my son had injuries from the old method and was still pro circ. There are many pros and cons each way. My brother isn't done. I respect my mothers dislike of circ and she respects my choice to proceed. I'm sure there is not one mother who does it for cosmetic reasons or for the fact she wants to inflict pain on her youngster and I resent the fact that some people might label the pro circ mothers as barbaric.
Have you ever been give a local anaesthetic needle????It does hurt ---a lot!!!!
But you just keep telling yourself,just keep telling yourself,just keep telling yourself....... that it doesn't.How do you know-is it your penis that is being tampered with???

Julie~mum to Jordyn-12,Jai-9,Eli-5,Kayne-10months!

Just out of interest...why did you have the procedure done if your brother was so traumatised by it?

Sorry,the above question was for mum78

Hi JZ

You've probably had the proceedure done already but I would think that contacting the Masada hospital in st kilda east would be a good start as it is in the middle of an area with lots of jewish residents.

Then again it may be more painful done by a doctor doing it for religious reasons rather than hygenie reasons or whatever.

I don't know - just a thought

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

JZ,
I read your response on a different post of the same topic, and saw how unbiased you and everyone else was on that particualr post.
Its amazing how rude some of these mum's have been on this post, almost like they want to burn you at the stake for even considering it.
Like somebody else said you've probably got it done already but I know Dr Paddy McGwan (not sure if surname's spelt correct) does circumcision. He was the one fired from the Royal Children's last year under weird circumstances. He also works out of the Geelong Hospital as is quite good from report that I hear.
Circumcision is a difficult decision to the mother of a baby boy, one which is not entered into lightly. Have any of these other mums actually thought that there may be a history of tight forskins in the family which will mean it needs to be done later.
I know of a man who had to be done at 16 and he remembers the pain in detail.
Its best done at an age when they won't remember the pain, (someone mentioned earpiercing as a similarity well I had my first set done at 2 and don't remember anything, my next lot was done at 15 and I remember the pain).
I hacve spoken to my GP about it as both my husband and his brother had to be done as they had extremely tight foreskins and would have needed to be done later inlife anyway. He's suggested I wait until Liam's about 2 and at the age when they start to pull it back themselves and we'll see if it needs doing. But I know that if there's a fair chance he'll need it done later then I'll get it done then so he won't remember it.
For all those mothers who disagree try to think of the anguish that these mothers have already gone through in making their decision before persecuting them further. Every one has differing opinions on child rearing, why else would there be so many books on the subject.
Kristy

member since 2004

Sign in to follow this topic