Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

PND & antidepressants Rss

I've been suffering with PND since my son was 6 weeks old (he is currently 6 months). I've been prescribed "cipramil" which is an antidepressant, which seemed to help within the first month of taking it, but now I'm feeling quite low. I've already spoken to my Dr. about increasing the medication but due to the fact I'm breastfeeding and don't want to stop, it can't be increased. I'm on the lowest dose possible which isn't helping with my PND at all. Does anyone know of any other antidepressant medications which are excreated through the breast milk in small amounts. Or Is there anyone else who is suffering from PND, so I don't feel like I'm the only mother in the world who isn't coping very well.
Hi Storm

Ask your doctor about Aropax I am taking it for an anxiety disorder but it is an antidepressent and I know of other mums who are on it for PND. It has only recently joined the "proved to be safelist" so your doctor might not be up to date on it. I found when I fell pregnant I had to increase the does for it to remain effective.

Speak to your doctor and let me know how you go - If you don't get much help from them def get a second opinion cos it took a while for my doctor and I to find out it had be deemed "safe"

Love steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Steph,
Thankyou for the information, I'll get on to my Dr. and find out what he thinks. By the way I noticed your up very, very early, I hope everythings alright. If you need someone to talk to don't hesitate in posting me a message.
Take care.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi Storm

I had a shocking night last night didn't fall asleep till after 5am!!!!

Still I just woke up so I guess I've caught up on a bit of sleep gasp)

Let me know how you go with the Dr.

Love steph

Hi Storm,

I am also suffering from PND and I also have had it since my son was 6 weeks old he is now 6 mths old (born 03/09/03). At first I thought it may be hormonal, but I soon realised it wasn't and went to see my GP as soon as I could. I would get very teary over nothing, and feel very low and down all the time day and night. I wasn't interested in anything or anyone around me. My doctor prescribed "Luvox" which I find very good. I do have my bad days where I feel really down but I find it much easier to pick myself up than I did before I took Luvox.

I hope the information helps you. If you would like to email me my email address is samya.lee@bigpond.com

Good luck with everything.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Steph,
Sorry I've taken so long to reply....
Don't you hate it when you have one of those nights, you try your hardest to get to sleep, then you start stressing out because your not asleep and the clock keeps ticking and you realise that it's almost time to get up and start a new day.
I hope your feeling a bit better and have caught up on a little sleep.
Talk to you soon.
Cheers!
Storm.
Hi Sam,
Thanks for your reply, it's amazing just how many people are suffering from PND I'm glad your medication is helping you. And thanks for the email address, if i need someone to talk to who understand what i'm going through i know who to call on. Thanks again. Hope you have more good days then bad.
Cheers!
Storm.
Thanks Storm smile

luckily I'm not working so I can sleep when I need to which is great. My hubby had a big sook last night because he couldn't fall asleep after 5 mins. I said HELLO try taking 2-4 hours just to get comfy smile

Did you manage to get anywhere with your doctor? I managed to put my mind at ease a bit more by talking to the midwife who takes our antenatal classes regarding anxiety during the labour and she was really helpful explaining that there are medications they can give me to calm me. But I really think I'll have way too much on my mind to worry about feeling worried smile

Steph

Hi Steph,
You poor darling I remember how hard it was when you've got this huge bump and your trying to get comfy.
Yeah I spoke to the doctor, not that that helped they would prefer me to stay on the medication i'm on.
All they seem interested in is trying to get me to take contraception (the mini pill). They really seem to push it. But I've told them a thousand times, I don't agree with taking hormones and would rather use natural alternatives.
But when I told her that, she didn't want to hear of it. I tried to explain that in the next couple of months we're going to try to conceive again, she tried to get me to reconsider. Because I have depression she thinks it best if we wait for at least 2 years (not likely) she made me so annoyed.
Enough of me, so how long have you got to go? I'm positive your going to do great in labour and will cope extremely well, it all happens so naturally you don't get a chance to worry or think about worrying. You'll be fine.
Talk to you soon.
Cheers!
Lynette.
Here's my email address if you need to talk. rainbowstorm@hotmail.com
Hi storm

I was thinking about you while i lay in bed for 6 hours last night trying to sleep!!! Ekk 5am again and I'm totally exhausted now but I don't want to nap or i might have the same prob tonight.

I suggest you see another DR my gp that i used to have when I told her about my panic attacks initially was "just get over it" I've been seeing a shrink now for 2 years who very much understands you don't just get over something like that!!!! And she also appriciates that not all medications take to some people. Its hard but it won't do any harm just making an appt and seeing someone for a different point of view.

I've got 2 and a half weeks to go and getting very excited. The anxiety disorder is all noted on my file so even knowing that makes me feel more relaxed.

Talk soon

Love steph

Sign in to follow this topic