Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Looking after yourself with a Baby
  5. Losing weight while breast feeding

Losing weight while breast feeding Lock Rss

HI everyone,
Before I fell pregnant with my beautiful baby boy I was a size 12 but since having him I am stuck at a size 16 which I am not all that happy about, I am still breastfeeding and relise that I can't diet until I stop but I plan on feeding him till he is at least 12 months, so I was wondering if anyone had any advise for me.
Its not my husband that has the problem he says I have never looked better but I am finding it harder to look at my self in the mirror.
Please help
Sulee

sulee,nsw,babyb'day15/8/2003

I would just suggest eating sensibly (sorry if you already do). When I was pregnant I had gestational diabetes and so had to eat much better than I had been (no chocolate etc) and I lost weight. Baby was still growing fine, but I lost fat that I didn't need.

If you are really concerned perhaps you could speak to a dietician at your local hospital or Community Health Centre.

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi,
I went to weight watchers when I was breastfeeding my first son. I was given a special plan and had alot more to eat then everybody else and the weight dropped off quite quickly. With eating lots of healthy food and excercising my son and I were still getting all the nutrients we needed, he kept thriving and I lost weight. It worked well for me.

Good Luck
Tracy

Tracy NSW, 2 boys, 4 and 2

I was the same way, but, unfortunetely, I did eat a lot of food which I did not need - chocolate and other things. I then stopped all of that and decided to become really really 'healthy' where I cut out all snacks and only ate at meal times, drank heaps of water (2 L daily min) and only ate good foods rather than bad, and the weight just dropped off me - I loved it! I had heaps of people comment to me all of the time saying that I have lost weight and done well. One person even said to me "whatever you are doing, keep on doing it!".
If you already are eating healthy, only other suggestion I may have is try and increase exercise. This may help.

Linda (Jessica 3/4/03, Caleb 11/4/05)

Hi Sulee

Yeah i know how you feel, my daughter is eight months old. Immediately after having her I weighed 60kg and I still weigh the same.
I'm desperate to get back into my size eight clothes but it seems tho i'm stuck with the extra weight.
I thought feeding her would help me loose my baby weight but that hasn't happened. I have gone on weeks of healthy eating plans but STILL NO RESULTS.

I'm wondering if i'll ever get back!!!
Hello,

I am excited for after trying to do areobics ( i am breastfeeding too) pilates , yoga and weights at home with videos, I have started using a fitball. I bought it really cheap from ebay. I bought a fitball for dummies from big w and I am seeing results after a week.

It is easy, non impact, and you can do it in a limited amount of space. I do it every night when Gg goes to sleep for the night and I just love it.

I have a gym membership but Gg does not like to be left (is 6months old) and I am too chicken to persist with her separation anxiety.

Give it a try, it has made me feel fantastic

Kathy
Thanks Cathy I will defiantly try this as it seems easy and quite cheep and I have not left my baby at all yet so it sounds good

sulee,nsw,babyb'day15/8/2003

Hi there,
I can understand how you feel. I have had 8 & 1/2 years between pregnancies & it took a quite a while to get my body to how I wanted it & now I have to start over again. As much as I enjoyed the pregnancy etc it is challenging to get yourself back in shape & keep healty after all if you are happy & healthy everyone benefits. I did try & follow a Weight Watchers Lactating diet but am not good at following menu plans for more than a couple of days or so. I have been told by a dietician that we need to eat a certain amount of kilojules a day for whatever out body needs as fuel & anything else left over gets stored i.e. don't eat more than you need or if you do exercise more. My best was at losing & maintaining weight is to have everything in moderation & do some sort of exercise for an hour a time at least 3 times a week or 20 mins a day. It is very hard to stick to diets at this stage of our mothering so don't beat yourself up about it, try cutting out a few luxuries if you like to indulge which most of us do & reduce your sugar intake. Not just sweet sugar, but sugar found in carbohydrates & bread.

danni,sa

Sign in to follow this topic