Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Won't sleep well day or night

Won't sleep well day or night Rss

Hi all,

This is my first post here, I have a wonderful 3 1/2 mth old son, however, lately he won't sleep during the day, 30mins here and there and at night he wakes every hour crying. He goes back to sleep with a pat and his dummy without feeding. Best sleep he gets is between 5.00a.m. and 7.30a.m., other than that it is a constant battle. Can anyone help?

Michael, Vic, Born 11-12-03

Hi maryb,
First of all welcome.
Maybe your little boy is just having a growth spurt I am pretty certain they do around three month's. Maybe some other mum's can verify this for me. Just hang in there I'm sure he will be sleeping again in no time, even though it may seem he is never going to sleep again.
Good luck !

Stacey and Cody

StaceyW.A Cody(Son)10/7/03Jordyn(Daughter)25/11/04

Thanks stacey hope your right
i will have to wait and see all i can do at the moment is try things to settle him.
it is hard to know what to do you hear so many things people tell you . if you or any other mums have tried anything to settle to sleep let me know .

maryb

hi um are you still wrapping him

cindy, NSW, 8mth baby boy

Yes, we did up until about two weeks ago. As he was getting stronger he would just fight to get out of the wrap and end up with it over his head so now we just wrap his body but leave his arms out. Sometimes we try and wrap him with his arms in but it doesn't always work. He seems to be more settled with his arms out.

Hi Mary

I have a 4 1/2 month old, who at the same age as your little one did exactly the same thing. Just when I thought we had our routine rolling along it all fell apart for about two weeks. At this time I was at my wits end with no sleep and decided to go to a day stay at Ngala which is a sleep clinic. They were wonderful and helped me start a new routine and taught me about leaving him to cry, which is pretty hard but it actually works. Most babies if left will cry between 10 - 20 mins then settle and sleep. It sounds horrible but maybe just try it once to see for yourself. What I thought was distressed crying is actually just settling they told me. Mine started at 15mins but now just goes to sleep when I put him down, he also uses a dummy.
It doesn't work for everyone, but you never know!

Hope he gets better

cheers

Adrienne
Thank You Adrienne,

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. I am also going to a day stay on the first of April but I will try what you suggested in the meantime. I am glad you thought the day stay was good.

Mary.

HI adrienne
I was just wondering if when you went to Ngala did they do controlled crying for your baby? My daughter is only 2 1/2 months, but when she is old enough for the controlled crying i think i might try it.
Did they say the right age to start this?
My son is now 7.5 months and went through exactly the same thing at about that age. I was in a mums group at my local community centre and we all had these beautiful little bubs that weren't sleeping. The only way I found to get thru it was to feed and feed and feed and burp and burp and burp!

If you're really desperate, try putting him in a sling. This was the only way I could get my boy to sleep a decent amount of time for a while there. Good luck!
Thankyou tanith
it is nice to know i am not the only one
i will try anything at the moment. How long did it take your little one to get better?

maryb

Hi Lara,

At Ngala they don't do controlled crying, they say to just leave the baby to settle itself which can take from 10 - 20 minutes. They said that when you do controlled crying and go in to pat or stroke baby you are only waking it up and it will take longer to settle. I don't know what works for some might not work for others. I did try their way of leaving baby and it does work, it is just extremely hard to leave a baby crying, its heartwrenching. But they reassured me it does no emotional, physical or any kind of damage, it just up to us to get our heads around the concept. Easier said than done!
I do know people that have started controlled crying from 4/5 months with success.
Good luck hope you find what works for you.
cheers
Adrienne
Hi Mary B,
Sorry to tell you that he's only really started getting better in the last 6 weeks or so - and he still wakes at nite!

I took him to the natrupath in the end because it was getting really bad and he seems to be actually getting a routine lately! I just learnt to let things go - when I was trying to do stuff and he wouldn't sleep I'd just think ' How important is it?'. I also leartn to lay down when he did.

Good luck, hang in there cos it's all worth it!
Sign in to follow this topic