Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. When do babies have 1 sleep a day ?

When do babies have 1 sleep a day ? Rss

Hello

My 10 & 1/2 month old use to sleep up to 3 hours a day.

Now his morning nap usually varies from 1/2 to 1 hour and in the afternoon he use to sleep for about 2 hours now he sleeps for about an 1 hour! (at the most)

When he is awake he is not cranky should I just leave things the way they are or try and get him to sleep more during the day?

thanks everyone

melly

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi Melis

My son is the same age and his sleeping habits are identical to your son's although some days he only has one sleep which is 2 - 2.5 hours. Our clinic nurse said that they start having only 1 day sleep from about 12 months. I think my son is heading towards that now. Some days he does only have 1 sleep. As long as your son is happy I wouldn't worry, you can't make them sleep if they aren't tired.

Hope this helps
Jasmine smile
Hi Melissa and Jasmine,
My boy is turning one next week. Sometimes he only has one sleep but at the moment it is a bit of a pain because the sleep is from 11.00ish till 12.30ish. He's not always tired enough for his morning sleep now, but by 11.00 he is ready. Then if he sleeps till 12.30, he won't have another sleep but by 5.00 he is really ratty. I refuse to put him down for a sleep that late in the day because we like to have our kids in bed by 7.00p.m.
I prefer the routine where he has a sleep around 9a.m. then another sleep around 2p.m.
I'm looking forward to when he just has one afternoon sleep a day (hopefully a lengthy one from around 1.00 till 3.00). At least then I can plan to do things in the mornings and our lives won't revolve so much around his sleeptimes.
My nephew dropped down to one sleep when he was 6 months old....and my friend's daughter is 2 and she still has 2 sleeps a day!!! So they certainly are all different!!
Michelle
Hi Michelle

I'm like you, I try to have my son in bed by 7pm - it's the only "time" I really stick to so I don't let him sleep past 4.30 in the afternoon. Having said that, I've never had to wake him as he's always awake by then anyway, on the other hand there is the odd occasion when he is just not tired at 7pm so he stays up a bit later. I should have put in my earlier post that the "1 sleep per day by 12 months" is only a generalisation as with everything they are all very different. The other thing I've found lately is that if we are out for the day my son usually only has a couple of catnaps and seems pretty happy - he probably doesn't want to miss out on anything smile ! But the next day he will usually have a big (2-3 hours) sleep. He's never been much of a day sleeper, but he has slept through the night since he was 9 weeks old so I can't complain about that.

All the best
Jasmine
Hi Jasmine, and everyone else,

I am in the same situation at the moment! He is crashing for about 30 mins at 8.00am.ish, as he is SO tired, but won't sleep properly till the afternoon when he is exhausted.

I am on the same wavelength as Jasmine in thinking they don't want to miss out on anything!

Goodluck anyway,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi All,

My 17 month old cut out her morning nap betweem 14 - 16 months. She now just has one nap which usually falls in the middle of the day lasting for 2 - 2.5 hours and she sleeps from 6.30 - 7pm to 7am most nights... I feel that she is getting enough sleep, although I sure do miss her having those 2 naps a day!!!

There is so much going on and these little ones don't want to miss a thing do they...

Michelle.
my son is 17 months old and has been hving just 1 sleep since about 13 months he goes down at about 12.30-130 and wakes about 430 - 5pm some times 530

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi

As your baby gets older and starts to move around more they will need more sleep.
Aimee is 15 months now and she still has 2 sleeps a day sometimes even 2hrs each but then other days she will only 1 sleep between 2-3 hours, it depends what we are doing during the day.
If baby is happy leave him to it, he will let you know when hes tired.

Some babies just need more sleep the others.
and it is nice to have a break when baby is sleeping.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi other mums,
I am experiencing some difficulties with my bub. She is 6 1/2 mths old and beginning to get teeth. She wakes a couple of times during the night, I feed her about 4 ish, then she will sleep until about 8am. Pretty happy about that. She then goes back to sleep about 10- 10.30am until 12ish. If she goes much later than that, it mucks up her arvo sleep and gets to close to bedtime, 7-7.30 ish.
However, last week or so, she has had only one good arvo sleep at reasonable time. But then didn't want to go to bed at her normal time. She seems to be cutting down her 2 sleeps. Unless she thinks that her 4-8am sleep is the morning sleep. I HAVE NO CLUES>
Was wondering whether she too young to have only one day sleep. She does appear to be a bit tired though.
Sorry haven't been any help to you, just waffled on about my own problems.
But I did read that by about 12 mths they should be on about one sleep a day. However, as everyone has said, every baby is sooo different.
Wish they all came with a damb manual.
Sign in to follow this topic