Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Anyone else wrapping at 7 months

Anyone else wrapping at 7 months Rss

Hi ,
I have a 7 month old and he is being wrapped if i don't wrap him he won't sleep for long and doesn't put himself back to sleep but when he is wrapped sleeps really well, I have only in the last month started wrapping him because he is crawling now it was the only way I could get him to settle down in the cot and to make it worse he sleeps on his tummy, I realise there is nothing I can do about that, but I just wanted to see if there were other mum's wrapping past 6 months, and what there opinion was about it. I have tried the one arm out and wrapping loosely, but he just crawls around the cot and takes hours to go to sleep, which then results in a over tired bub , and then it's even harder to get him to sleep, I would love to hear that im not the only one this is happening to.

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi Jazziesmum,
My boy is 7 months in 2 days and he's still wrapped but for day sleeps only. At night he has a sleeping bag so he can't roll or move about much in that, though he's not crawling.
I'm wondering how to stop the wrapping as he just lays there and plays if I don't. I've tried to do the same during the day as at night and it still doesn't work.
I've had people tell me they wrapped their baby until they were 12 months.
Wish I could suggest a way to stop but I'm in a similar position to you.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi Bek,

I only stopped wrapping my little girl about a month ago and she is 9 1/2 months. She was only wrapped around the torso though, not with her arms in. I put her in a sleeping bag for night and then I just tried to put her in without wrapping her during the day and it seemed to work. Sometimes during the day she doesn't want to sleep and keeps flipping herself over, so I just go in, turn her over and put her back under the covers. Sometimes I might have to do this 5 times, which is a bit of a pain, but she eventually goes to sleep. This doesn't happen often, so it doesn't really bother me.

If your little one is happy being wrapped, then wrap.

Cheers,
Bron

Mum to DD 08.08.03 and DS 12.05.05

Hi,

Slightly off topic here but I was wondering what you use to wrap your bub? Olivia is 4 and a half months and we wrap her for all sleeps but now she's getting too big for the wraps we are using and gets out very easier resulting in her not sleeping. I've been looking but can't find any bigger wraps. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks
HI Bangus,
I find that the only wraps that work for me are from babies galore called LTC ESSENTIALS muslin wraps in a pack of three they are 120cm a little bit bigger than the average wrap, I find them great as they also have a bit of stretch in them , I think target also sell them, from memory I think they were around $20 . Good luck.

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi ,

I still wrap my little guy who is now 7 months old. I have always wrapped my kids until they no longer want it....around 12 to 14 months.

As for wraps that are too small. I went and bought 10 metres of muslin from Spotlight, cut it up into 1 and a half metre lengths and tye died them. (You don't have to dye though, you can leave them white and cut them into whatever size you want.) They are fabulous as they breathe and are really good in summer when its hot and don't over heat them in the winter. You don't have to hem them as they don't fray.

Goodluck.

Nat

Hi all, thanks for the advise about bigger wraps.

I just realised last night, I have a couple of Pumpkin Patch muslin wraps in the cupboard. I completely forgot about them because I only used them in summer. They are a fair bit bigger than the ones I'm currently using and are very stretchy.

I'll give them a try because Olivia sleeps soundly at night when she's wrapped.

I am still wrapping my 8 mth old son as this is the only way he will sleep. I wrap him in a cot sheet, then a polar fleece blanket. Seems to work okay, as long as the heater is on during these cold nights.

SA, 2 boys

Hi
My boy is 9 months old now and I have wrapped him from day one which has been a lifesaver as he has always been a fantastic sleeper both day and night. I would love to not have to wrap him as when he escapes from it he pulls his dummy out, wacks the side of the cot and knocks himself about in the face, so I have to go in and re-wrap him. I have tried all the methods but I am hoping he will just grow out of it as my sisters 2 girls did by 12 months.

Mel, NSW, Riley , Flynn & Ethan

Mel I have the same problem, my daughter is 9 months and still sleeps wrapped. The weather is warming up now and even with her window open she gets hot and sweaty, or she unwraps herself and needs to be re wrapped in the middle of the night. I have tried to get her to sleep unwrapped, and so far she has her morning nap unwrapped most days, but for the afternoon and night, she just stands up and cries until she vomits. I have never left her to cry, as I've never had to, so I am at a bit of a loss as to how I should proceed! Have you had any success yet?

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

Hi all,
I have just been confronted with the exact same problem with my 11 month old son. He would only settle with wrapping and if he escaped would carry on until he was re-wrapped. This went on until the past weekend when he was hysterical at being wrapped, so we have just gone cold turkey!

I thought this will probably take a week or two maybe of some hard times, but will hopefully be ok. We are on day 4 so far and everything is coming together. The first few days in the day time he just fussed and played in the cot instead of sleeping, but today settled and slept both am and pm naps, yay! Night has also been ok, I have had to get up a few times but wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I thought if he is tired he will sleep and so far this is becoming true. Just wanted to say I was anxious at this next stage but now that I have taken the plunge it seems to be ok. It can work, we are proof! I read somewhere that if they were good sleepers before they will be again once they get used to it.

Hope this gives some help/inspiration, I know how you feel.

cheers
adrienne
Hi Aido-
so, how is your baby sleeping now? Is he used to sleeping unwrapped now? Did you just all of a sudden stop wrapping him? I have stopped trying with my 9 month old- she sleeps well when wrapped, but wakes and cries if she unwraps herself still. I'd love to hear of your success!!!

Ellie, NSW, DD 3 yrs & TTC # 2

Sign in to follow this topic