Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Sleeping through the night?

Sleeping through the night? Rss

Hi all

I am just curious to know how many babies out there are sleeping through the night and at what age did they start?

My son is 4 & 1/2 months old and is still waking for a feed in the early hours of the morning which I thought was quite normal but have been told by quite a few people that he should be sleeping through by now. I'm not worried about it because every baby is different but I'm just interested to know other people's experiences.

Thanks

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Debs,
It can depend a lot on if your baby is a breat or bottle boy. My son is 7 months old and has only been sleeping through for about a month, although some night are bad. He used to wake once during the night anywhere between 4 and 6 for a feed then all of a sudden he started going until about 8am. Maybe once he starts solids he might sleep longer (don't start them early just to cure this).

My husband works with a guy whose 19month old still doesn't sleep through, but they tell me girls aren't good sleepers. Thats what I've been told though, I can't offer experience on that one.

Hope this has been of some help to you and when you least expect it your son will just start missing the early feed. We tried giving Liam water or dummy so he wouldn't think it was worth it waking for a feed but this didn't work as it only settled him for about an hour, so I figured I was up in the first place I might as well feed him then.
Take care and good luck.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi Debs

As far as I know it's perfectly normal for babies to still wake for a feed through the night. Our child health nurse said that some babies still need to feed throught the night up until 6 months old - after that it is more of a comfort thing. But if it doesn't bother you, don't worry about what other people say - everyone else always thinks they know your baby better than you!!! You're right all babies are different. I was REALLY lucky - my son started sleeping through from 7pm - 5 or 6am from 9 weeks old and he was and still is breastfed so I don't think it always depends on whether they are breast or formula fed. Chukkas is right to say not to introduce solids just to try and get a baby to sleep through the night, I know of heaps of parents who have done this and it may work temporarily if at all. Just do what is right for you and your baby.

Jasmine
Hi my 3 monh old baby has been sleeping through since 6 weeks waking up between 5-6am but since about 8 weeks she has been sleeping til 8-9am but like u said all babies are different

Shelley, NSW, Breanna 19/11/04, Lachlan 5/01/07

Also she is on bottle and soon as i put her on bottle at 2 weeks old she was only waking up twice a night

MY 3 month old girl is a very good sleeper i think its the boys who dont sleep better but its all on the baby not what they are

Sign in to follow this topic