Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How to stop 6 1/2 month old baby from turning onto tummy in sleep...

How to stop 6 1/2 month old baby from turning onto tummy in sleep... Rss

the reason this is a problem is that my 6 1/2 month old daughter Lucy gets "stuck". She forgets that she can flip back and wakes herself and me up. A real pain!! Especially if she's had a feed not to long ago and the pressure on her tummy causes her discomfort, but she isn't making the connection yet - so she just keeps rolling onto her tummy! Have tried softly 'pinning' her down by tucking in sheets but she is so strong (10kg) that she destroys this! Anyone else been through this?

Ana, NSW,10mth girl

We went through this with DD and agree, what a pain !!! Its frustrating for all of you really. I tried pinning her down, wrapping her legs, sleeping bags - just about all the tricks.

All you can really do is give her lots of tummy time so that she gets stronger and remembers how to roll back and forth. I don't think it will long for her to figure it all out, including the discomfort after a feed.

The thing with forcing her onto her back is that you could put her in more danger with SIDS / smouther etc. I didn't think about that at the time as was told over and over, the worst thing is for them to sleep on their tummies.

They are suppose to find their own natural positions, so put them down on their back and let them go. It might mean a few rough nights for you until she figures it all out and then starts sleeping properly.

Of course, thats just one theory, you never really know what is best for another persons bub. At least you know you are not alone and that it will get better - LOL !!!

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

depending on how big she is but you can go to targets and buy this thing its two rolls which keeps them on there back or the side it works i had to keep my daughter on her right side because she has a stermastoid tumor and i had to stop her turning anyway it worked for me just thought it might be worth i try

had 2 C-SECTION and a proud mum

I have purchassed a Safe-T-sleep which keeps my son securely on his back.
I was very worried about SIDS and have found that it works great!
It can also be really handy for when you travel!

You can find info at www.safetsleep.com

Cheers smile

Justine, Vic, Logan 22nd July 2005 @ 33 weeks

Dear Ana-Maria

My son started sleeping on his tummy at about 6 months old. The first night he did it, my husband and I spent about an hour checking to see if he was breathing.

He now consistently sleeps on his stomach and if you place him on his back will immediately roll to his tummy. He wears a sleeping bag to bed and therefore there is basically only a fitted sheet in his cot(during summer).

I believe all babies find there own position in which they are comfortable(just like adults do).

Maybe you should just let her go.

Good luck
Peta D
H ave you heard of a product called safe t sleep. Look up on their web page www.safetsleep .com I have twins and this keeps them on ther backs. No more getting up at night because one of them is caught up in an amazing position in the cot.

Danielle

Sign in to follow this topic