Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Who's baby over 6 mths still wakes for feeds?

Who's baby over 6 mths still wakes for feeds? Rss

Hi everyone
Just wondering who's bub over 6mths still wants feeds at night? Tayla is nearly 8 mths and still waking at least 3 times and it is very hard to get her back off to sleep without a bottle. Who has tried the water instead of milk trick and did it work?
Id really love to sleep through the night.Its quite a scary thought to think i havent slept thru for 8 months!!
HI Lovely Lara

My little girl was a good sleeper until she turned 7 months then she was waking evrey hour or so and had to be rocked back to sleep. I heard that after 6 months night waking is not feed related. It is the fact that the baby cannot get iutself to sleep without "external aids" i.e. rocking, patting or in your case, a bottle.

After several nights of her frequent waking we decided (with HUGE reservations!!) to try comfort crying. I must say this is not for everyone, but have you considered it? The first night was extremely difficult - leaving her to cry was the hardest thing I have had to do. But she actually fell asleep and slept through the whole night. Next night we put her down without rocking and she cried for 20 minutes then slept through the whole night again!! After a few nights she didn;t cry at all. We have had no problems since!!

Maybe it's something you might consider?

Good luck!!!

M2G

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hi Lili

Mmm yes i am thinking about that now. The problem is that its very hard for me to get her to drink a decent amount of milk during the day, so then she is hungry at night. I struggle to get 400 mls into her most days. I think what i might try is no milk after 12 and see how i go. If she gets really wound up i will try her with water instead.
She has never been a good sleeper and is in our bed pretty much all the time now. it is driving me crazy lately.Sometimes its nice to have a cuddle of her, but my god i'd love to stretch out and have a good sleep for once.
Hi Lovely Lara. Initially my Rachel would wake frequently during the night when she was a newborn, but with persisting in using settling strategies recommended by an organisation here in NSW known as Karitane, she managed to only need a feed once during the night. I'm glad to say that she has been sleeping 7pm-7am since 5 months. Without meaning to brag, but it's only through a lot of persistence/consistency, as well as relying heavily on the Karitane hotline and website, we are fortunate enough to have her sleep through. If you want to check out this website, it is www.swsahs.nsw.gov.au/karitane, or perhaps you could find out a similar organisation in your state. Good luck and believe me, it may be hard for a few nights, but that lovely big stretch in your own bed will be worth it!!!!!

Angela, NSW

Hi

My baby is nearly10 1/2 months and is still waking at 5 - 5.30am for a bottle. I tried other ways to settle her as I thought she was just in a routine but she drinks an entire bottle at this time and seems genuinely hungry. I don't know what to do to change it.

I hope it stops soon as I am pregnant with my second and don't really want to be getting up to 2 babies every night!

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Same here ashleesmum!!

Mine's 11 months and has been waking twice...once at midnight and again around 5am and drains both bottles...that's the only thing she will settle with! Must be going through a growth spurt or something!

I hope it stops as I'm also pregnant with number 3!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi Lara. Please dont be angry with me when you read this but I feel that when you keep feeding a baby during the night you are setting a precedence for this. During the day I would feed my baby till it was full as a goog! especially the last one at night. He would then sleep longer and longer till he no longer woke. However at around 4 months he started waking at night. So I would put a dummy in his mouth and he would fall asleep again. This worked most of the time. It is a mystery why they wake up. Maybe its teething or they simply woke up them selves and find it hard to get themselves back off to sleep. I took the easy way and used a dummy as it makes life easy for everyone. It may be a bit late to introduce a dummy. But what my point is is try to reverse the feeding so she is having most of her milk during the day. This is probably easier said than done. And try to get her back in her cot. I never did the co sleeping as baby gets too used to it. I know for sure we would have squashed our little boy him or woke him from our moving around in bed.
I hope you get some relief soon but take charge now or it will keep going on.

JZ mum to Bradley 17/08/03 and Heidi 25/02/06

Hi JZ

Yes, i know you are right when you say i am setting a precedence for this, so no offence taken. I guess over the months it has been an easier way to get her back to sleep instead of listening to crying. She has always spat a dummy out, so i guess its up to me to use some settling techniques!!
I always mean to do this, but when its 2 or 4 in the morning i am just too tired!!!
I wonder how long it will take for her to get out of the habit now? Maybe i should set up a bed next to her cot for easy access??
HI Lovely Lara

I felt the same as you - it is easier to do something (anything!) rather than listen to your baby cry. When we decided to use the 'controlled crying' method someting I read stuck in my mind. Be calm, confident and consistent. The other thing was 'your baby WILL fall asleep.' Sure enough it happened. If you are prepared to stick it out for a few nights I assure you it is well worth it. According to Robin Barker (author of Baby Love), this method should work within 7 days - most of the time it will take only 3.

One thing I would not recommend is to move into your baby's room. That is just another 'external aid' which your baby will associate with going to sleep. meaning - you will need to be there when she falls asleep and wakes up. Not a good thing.

Anyway, GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide to do. And keep us posted!

Cheers
M2G

Hi Lili

Well i am now trying to cut out the bottle habit and its not easy. i have just been patting and saying shush which helps a bit. Im just not up to the whole controlled crying bit at the moment.Im too tired and Tayla gets quite hysterical when i do this.
I will keep u up to date with how its all going.How old is Gabriella now?
Hi Lara

Controlled crying is not for everyone and if you are not up to it then I definitely wouldn't do it. It is really hard to leave your baby to cry especially when they become hysterical...!

Gabriella is nearly 9 months old - I don't know where the time has gone. Seems like yesterday we brought her home from hospital!

Anyway best of luck and do keep us posted!

Lili

My little girl Emily is one next week and she is still waking 2 or 3 (sometimes 4!) times a night! I know that i shouldnt feed her but im so tired (and to be honest a little lazy!) at night that i just breastfeed her back to sleep! i know that we are both in very bad habits with this but i keep doing it anyway!! my theory is that she isnt young forever and she will eventually (hopefully) grow out of it anyway.... we all did!!! shes not as interested in her feeds as she used to be so i have found that sometimes when she wakes all she wants is a cuddle and to know that im there and then shes straight back to sleep. I like having her sleep next to me and im a single mum which makes it easier for me to have her there. I hope as she gets older our bad habits will die off (even if they dont i'll pretend they will for now, and deal with it later!!)

good luck to you all!
Amanda
Sign in to follow this topic