Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Awake at 4.00 am Rss

After a long hard slog using settling techniques to get our 8 month old baby to sleep through the night, we have only been able to get him to sleep from 7 pm until 4-4.30. Although this is still fabulous compared to the 6 or 7 wakes he used to do each night, it is still tough starting the day so early. We have tried keeping him up later, and have also let him cry using settling techniques for two hours each morning, but have had no success. Does anyone have any ideas for extending his sleep a little longer?

My little lovlies are Jack and Lily

i would love an answer to this as well, my 5mth old daughter sleeps from 7-4:30/5am and is wide awake there is no chance of getting her back to sleep.

Sorry i could not of been any help to you, but hopefully someone will be able to give us both some advice.
Hi Sue

Do you have blockout curtains or a blind? Maybe you could try putting the bedtime back a bit to 7.30 or 8.00? Dont worry, you are not alone.Just read some of my posts about my wakeful baby!!
Have you tried doing a roll over feed before you go to bed. My daughter is 5 months, she goes to bed at 6.30pm, we give her a feed at 10.30pm and she goes straight back to bed. This then pushes her right thru until any where between 7-8am.

Thats if you think he is waking because he is hungry!!

Good Luck

Jayne, #1 Chloe 15/05/04

Hi, My daughter is 3 and a half and for the first 2 and a half years of her life, she woke between 4.30am and 5am EVERY morning. I tried everything and nothing worked (later bed time, controlled crying, blockout curtains, bribery, threats!!, more food etc). Anyway, this will be of little consulation, but 1 year ago, she changed, she started sleeping til 6am, (which is the time we all get up). This also coincided with her occassioanlly dropping her midday sleep. I started telling her that she couldn't call out or cry for us until we turned on the kitchen light (and she saw the light come on under her door) and she would call out immediately. I knew she was awake earlier, as I could hear her talking to herself on the monitor, but eventaully, she got sick of this and would go back to sleep. We used a behavour chart system and would reward her with a sticker each morning that she did this and then after 5 stickers, she got a reward. This fazed out after a few weeks, and she never called out for us before 6am (or later on weekends if we slept in, but she didn't know the time). Now that it is getting lighter in the mornings and the light coming on under the door is not really noticeable, we have started a routine of knocking on her door and she gets up to answer it at 6am. You'd be surprised by the amount of mornings that she's still asleep at 6am and won't hear us knocking.
The surprising thing is that I have a 3 and a half month old boy and I have done nothing different with him, yet he sleeps all night and doesn't get up till at least 7am. Funny how all kids can be differnt, even within the same family.

Anita, Qld, mum Isabella 4 & Elijah 7 months

Sign in to follow this topic