Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 20 week old waking every hour during night

20 week old waking every hour during night Rss

Ok so I am stuck on where to begin with this one. I need some advice/ideas on how to handle bub during the night.

Her routine is ...
She goes down with a final breast feed anywhere between 6-6.30pm (followinga bath and play time) and sleeps 'till about 10pm at which point she wakes up for a feed. She then goes back down till about 1am which is when the fun starts 'till 7am which is her get up time. She is up every hour from thereon crying, wanting to feed(I suspect). She also uses a dummy which doesn't concern me and tends to calm her down during the night but it still doesn't stop her from waking every hour. I guess I should be greatful I get to squeeze in an hour of sleep between wakes but I'm struggling with the broken sleeep and having to get up early in the morning to tend to my older child not to mention managing the rest of the day.

She has a early morning nap around 9am for about half hour,another nap around 11am for about half hour and a longer sleep (about hour and a half to two hours) around 1.30pm. This varies most days. She also used to have a 3pm half hour nap but I've tried to get rid of that nap as I thought it might be affecting her night time sleep... it hasn't worked...
Any and all suggestions welcome!!!
nothing worse than being tired!

from what ive learnt when bubs sleep well in the day they sleep better at night. i would let her have her 3pm sleep still. i went with DS to a sleep school and their recommendation at this age was 2 days sleeps of 2hours and a late afternoon 45minute nap.

maybe bubs is having a growth spurt? are they having a good feed at 10pm rather than a snack feed? i would personally look into getting some help through a sleep school to get bub to sleep.

goodluck!
Hi,

Firstly, have you checked to see if maybe she just needs another light blanket over the top of her? It seems like she's waking after every sleep cycle (ie. coming fully awake between cycles instead of just partially awake and drifting back to sleep). I was told that babies will do this if they are uncomfortable.

Notwithstanding that, I sympathise with you as my DD started doing the same thing this week. She uses a dummy and I thought this might have been the issue. Anyway, it lasted 3 days and then she went back to normal (or almost normal - she is waking 3.5hourly). In any case, I stumbled along this which you might find interesting. It doesn't really solve anything for you (sorry) but might shed some light on why it is happening suddenly (especially if it then stops spontaneously).

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/HealthTopicDetails.aspx?p=114&np=122&id=2312

I'm going to a sleep clinic tomorrow and will try to remember to let you know what they say.

Good luck.
hi, my 21 week old was exactly the same a week ago!! she went from waking once during the night to waking every hour. so frustrating!! she is still now waking probably 3 times every night which is still tiring but better than every hour. it must be an age thing as i know of a few other babies around the same age, doing the same thing. heres hoping your little one sleeps for you soon smile

Thanks ladies, at thist point I am willing to try anything. I have heard that having a good rest during the day makes for a good nights sleep so I will stick with her 3pm snooze. I have implemented the following in the last few days...I've started giving her three solid meals a day (ie. two teaspoons of fruit in the morning, rice cereal mixed with formula at lunch and fruit for dinner), I make sure I breastfeed her first though and just top her up with the food. I've also started giving her some formula before I breastfeed her at her dreamfeed but she's not all that interested in the formula so the most I can get her to drink is about 25ml's of that and the rest she get from my milk.

Las couple of days I've noticed she's sleeping longer periods between nightime wake, last nigth she slept from 10pm to 2am wooooohooooooo, I got excited to soon though when as she woke ujp at 4am again (due to a dirty nppy) and it was hel getting her back to sleep. It was about 5.15 when she fell asleep again but slept till 7.30am. Still I'm greatful for at least a little extra shut-eye.

I went out and bought 'The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers' by Gina Ford the oher day, has anyone here ever used her techniques? I think she's big on letting bubs cry is out...
Sounds exactly like my 4 month old! Nearly identical pattern!! He has never slept through the night. He goes down 6.30pm every night (cannot stay awake longer than that), wakes at 10-11ish for a feed, then again at 1-2am and from there, anyone's guess! During the day he used to cat nap only 20 minutes here and there but now I have him doing three 1-1.5 hr blocks a day which is good. If you find a solution, let me know!

Ok so I am stuck on where to begin with this one. I need some advice/ideas on how to handle bub during the night.

Her routine is ...
She goes down with a final breast feed anywhere between 6-6.30pm (followinga bath and play time) and sleeps 'till about 10pm at which point she wakes up for a feed. She then goes back down till about 1am which is when the fun starts 'till 7am which is her get up time. She is up every hour from thereon crying, wanting to feed(I suspect). She also uses a dummy which doesn't concern me and tends to calm her down during the night but it still doesn't stop her from waking every hour. I guess I should be greatful I get to squeeze in an hour of sleep between wakes but I'm struggling with the broken sleeep and having to get up early in the morning to tend to my older child not to mention managing the rest of the day.

She has a early morning nap around 9am for about half hour,another nap around 11am for about half hour and a longer sleep (about hour and a half to two hours) around 1.30pm. This varies most days. She also used to have a 3pm half hour nap but I've tried to get rid of that nap as I thought it might be affecting her night time sleep... it hasn't worked...
Any and all suggestions welcome!!!
Hi
Have you considered that it might be the dummy causing the waking? DS had a dummy and then suddenly at about 3 months he went from waking once a night to waking 4-5 times. Each time I had to put his dummy back in and he went back to sleep. I did some reading and found that he was probably waking because he had his dummy when he went to sleep but it fell out so when he woke between sleep cycles he needed his dummy to get back to sleep. We took the dummy away (took about 3 nights of having to comfort him in his cot to get him to sleep without the dummy) and then he was back to waking only once for a feed. Might be worth a try???

Jackson 28.10.07 and Madeleine 16.12.09

[quote name='kimzed' date='22 May 2010 - 06:28 AM' timestamp='1274506125' post='2707296']
Sounds exactly like my 4 month old! Nearly identical pattern!! He has never slept through the night. He goes down 6.30pm every night (cannot stay awake longer than that), wakes at 10-11ish for a feed, then again at 1-2am and from there, anyone's guess! During the day he used to cat nap only 20 minutes here and there but now I have him doing three 1-1.5 hr blocks a day which is good. If you find a solution, let me know!
[/q

After going through hellish weeks of no sleep I read a number of books and article and they each had similarities to your baby sleepig well at night...make sure the [u]baby is fed enough [/u]during the day and have a [u]good bedtime routine[/u]. We always had a good bedtime routine with bub so we just continued with that although we did stop wrapping her fully. I still wrap her but leave one hand out and give her a cuddle toy which she plays with to fall asleep. I know they say not to give them toys/blankets or things tat they might later need to fall asleep but if it works I say just do it. It was worth a try for us so maybe consider this??

I also increased her food during the day including feeding her solids 3 times a day. I realise many people are very against this and recommed solids from 6 months but I think a mother knows best (in most cases) and I just felt like she was crying out to me for me foods! so we started with the following routine: 8am some fruit, 12pm formula mixed with rice cereal and fruit and dinner at 4.30pm which is usually veg with a bit of rice cereal.I found the increase made her sleep better during the day too...

Then at 10pm when she wakes up I give her as much formula as she will take which is usually only about 20ml's, which I know sounds like nothing but it's a big step for our bub, she's just not into it. Then I top her up with a breast feed (both sides). I have to admit it was hard to stick with it but I kept reminding myself that I'm not sleeping anyway and not to mention that any adult time consisted of passing out so a big no. The first few days of me doing this she woke up a couple of times, I would feed her the first wake but only offered water or the dummy the second wake. By the 4th night she skipped the first wake and when woke up for the second wake I just offered her water and dummy again.It took me a little over a week to establish this into place but she's now sleeping till 4am at which point I just resettle her with a dummy or some water is she's really fussy. She's up by 6-6.30 at which time I feed her (one side only) and wait till 7-7.30 to offer her the other side.
Also just another thing I read, it's a good idea to implement the routine yourself and than involve other household members. That way the baby gets into it all properly and should't fuss when someone else tries to do it. Hubby put baby to sleep the other night for the first time, he was nervous, didn't phase her one bit...

Good luck and let me know how you go cause I really feel for you and others here that are going through it now!

p.s - also, just a thought, if your baby is desperatelly searching for the dummy after their feed they might not be fully satisfied and might need a burp and another serving smile That way the dummy may only be an occasional thing and not something they depend on to fall asleep... smile

I also forgot to say that she gets breastfed at 7am,10am, 1pm, 5.30pm (sometimes 4.30pm one side and than 5.30pm the other sides, depends on how demanding she's feeling smile ) and at 10pm.
i feel your pain! my girl used to do this and i couldnt do the cry-it-out methods so i found a book by Elizabeth Pantley "the no-cry sleep solution" and it was great! her sleep improved the first night and is getting better!
also check to make sure your baby isnt cold, i put her in a long sleeve top, jumpsuit, winter sleeping bag, and 3 blankets and it helped.
good luck smile

My son is now 2.5 years old, but we had some difficult nights in his first 13 months.

My son is extremely routine driven and one thing that was really, really important after week 14 (I don't know why it wasn't a problem earlier) was his sleep association. If I rocked him to sleep, he would expect me to do the same after ever sleep cycle. I he had a dummy to go to sleep, he needed it again to drift into the next sleep cycle. Same thing for lights, sleeping bags, choice of bed, presence of parents, etc. He would never wake in his first 3 hours of the night though (7-10pm) - because that has always been and is still his deepest sleep.
We therefore decided to go with a evening routine (bath, book, milk, bed), no dummies, have him sleep in his own bed, have no night lights in his room and he had to go to sleep by himself. I think it is important to agree as a couple - the situation is bad enough without the parents screaming at each others.
It took us two days to get rid of the dummy and another few weeks of patting and stopping when he was almost asleep until he was able to go to sleep by himself. From then on we had the 10min rule: if he is still screaming after 10min, he is probably not tired enough, needs more food, etc. In that case we tried again half an hour later.

The bad news is: the whole thing went pear-shaped whenever he was sick and every time we had to re-establish the routine again. We only have had (mostly) perfect nights since he was 13 months old. Grrrrr.

As I said he is 30months old now. We still use the 10min rule - but he always goes to sleep quicker that that. I wouldn't even know what to do if he decided to scream longer one day... smile

My son is now 2.5 years old, but we had some difficult nights in his first 13 months.

My son is extremely routine driven and one thing that was really, really important after week 14 (I don't know why it wasn't a problem earlier) was his sleep association. If I rocked him to sleep, he would expect me to do the same after ever sleep cycle. I he had a dummy to go to sleep, he needed it again to drift into the next sleep cycle. Same thing for lights, sleeping bags, choice of bed, presence of parents, etc. He would never wake in his first 3 hours of the night though (7-10pm) - because that has always been and is still his deepest sleep.
We therefore decided to go with a evening routine (bath, book, milk, bed), no dummies, have him sleep in his own bed, have no night lights in his room and he had to go to sleep by himself. I think it is important to agree as a couple - the situation is bad enough without the parents screaming at each others.
It took us two days to get rid of the dummy and another few weeks of patting and stopping when he was almost asleep until he was able to go to sleep by himself. From then on we had the 10min rule: if he is still screaming after 10min, he is probably not tired enough, needs more food, etc. In that case we tried again half an hour later.

The bad news is: the whole thing went pear-shaped whenever he was sick and every time we had to re-establish the routine again. We only have had (mostly) perfect nights since he was 13 months old. Grrrrr.

As I said he is 30months old now. We still use the 10min rule - but he always goes to sleep quicker that that. I wouldn't even know what to do if he decided to scream longer one day... smile

I agree that you need to agree on what you want to do with your partner, it's very important to have the support but I just think it's quicker to get into a routine if only one of the parents does it at first, this doesn't mean your significant other shouldn't give you a lending hand though to keep you sane! Than again this is purely subjective, as are most things when it comes to babies, at the end of the day it's trial and error as to what works best for your baby. They all have their personalities don't they... smile
Hi all,

My partner's Mum created a sleeping product called the Sleepwrap by Safe T Sleep. Have you heard of it? It has shown great success in providing a better night sleep for the whole family. Babies like the swaddling feeling! Check out www.safesleepsolutions.com

Any questions, let us know =0)

All the best
Sign in to follow this topic