Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Am I doing the right thing?

Am I doing the right thing? Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

So I've probably created a rod for my own back by doing a 3 am feed with my 8month DD. She has never slept through so I thought it's time to ween her out of this phase. I figured there should be no reason for her to wake up around 3 for a bottle other than for a comfort feed. She's well fed in the evening and always willing to go to sleep between 7-730.

So for the last few nights I have let her cry it out. First night woke once 10 mins then back to sleep. Second night woke twice first occasion 10 mins second occasion 15 mins (had to tend to her as she was a bit upset). Third night woke twice again but cried for around 15-20 mins each time.

Am I doing the right thing by letting her cry it out?

I have heard it from many mums that have said it worked for them. I just feel awful having to resort to this.

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

Just my personal opinion, and I used to bf, not ff, but if ds was still waking at 8 mths i would have fed him. I know of heaps of bubs who still wake once at night until 12mths. But like I said, just my opinion

My DD is nearly 8 months and wakes at 3 for a bottle, and she drinks it all. She also goes to bed on a very full belly.

Is your DD drinking all her milk or just a little bit?

Just my personal opinion, and I used to bf, not ff, but if ds was still waking at 8 mths i would have fed him. I know of heaps of bubs who still wake once at night until 12mths. But like I said, just my opinion

I agree smile DS was definately still wanting to be fed at 8months, despite having a good dinner at night. I tried other things & the ONLY thing that settled him was a feed & he'd drink it all, so he obviously needed it. He didn't stop wanting an overnight feed until he was 11months old!

Personally I would feed DS if he woke at that time too. I mean I am sometimes quite thirsty/hungry in the night so why shouldn't he be? He has slept through the night for 3 nights in a row now but up until then I was feeding once in the night & if he starts waking up again I will feed him smile

I agree too.

We felt the pressure to night wean DS2 when he was 9 months old so we started the process but on the proviso that if it wasn't working then we'd just feed him. What we did was set 'rules' around night feeds; so if it was before midnight then he was automatically fed, between midnight and 5am we tried to resettle first, if not boob and any time after 5am was automatic boob. The ONE thing that we both agreed on was that if any time he woke and was hysterical he got boob. Just because *we* thought he didn't need it didn't mean he didn't. On nights when he did a feed he wouldn't resettle without, and on nights he didn't, a cuddle would do.

He was fully night weaned at 11 months , when he promptly stopped sleeping full-stop after getting tonsillitis and continued to wake until he was 13 months when he started sleeping 10+ hours at night again. The only thing we did then was to move his bedtime forward an hour to 6:30.
Personally I am for doing what is quickest and works....for us that was feeding, and though he took 2 months and we gave him a bit of a shove, I don't think for one minute he would have night weaned had HE not wanted to.

Only YOU can decide if it is 'right' for you...and based on my interpretation of your last sentence, it doesn't seem like to me that it is 'right' for you. We'd never do CC/CIO ever again (did with DS1) but even if we would consider it, we'd exhaust ALL other gentler methods first before trying it.

I don't think you need to feed her - but it depends... Is she having a really good feed when she wakes at 3am? If so she still may need it. If not, send the husband in with water. We did this to our DD1 and she only woke two more nights because she knew she wasn't going to get booby from me. Just Daddy with a cup. I must say I found it hard to lie in bed and hear her cry, but it was worth it three nights later!
She's a good eater and usually will have her dinner around 6 until she's saying no more then a bottle around 7 then bed after that. Some times for the 3 am feed she would drink all her bottle and other nights she would drink half. Sometimes she has a couple of gulps and she's asleep again.
Hence my confusion as to this morning feed. I've tried dream feeds. Didnt work. Ive tried feeding and putting her to bed later. Didnt work. Hubby can't go in unfortunately cause he works away. I'm just trying to make life easier as it takes its toll flying solo. Get pretty tired having to feed her at 3am every morning for four weeks. Last time hubby was home I slept for a full day. I hate to sound like Im a sooky la la but I'd just like a solution. Perhaps I should just keep up the 3am feed and accept that it might take her a little more time.

Funny thing though...she can't sleep through during the night but I can mow the lawn outside her window this morning during her morning nap and she's still asleep...little bag! Gotta love em!

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

ummmm just want to point out something here

she has been asleep for 8 hours when she wakes at 3am they can't tell the time they are just hungry. do you have something to eat or drink before bed....... i do about 10pm and also drink water through the night. say i go to bed about 10pm i could be up again at 6.30am and i am hungry, and it prob been 8 hours since i last ate.....just feed her if she goes back to sleep..... personally i don't care if i am feeding during the night..... they wake you feed they go to sleep easy really.....

I am fully breastfeeding and have done with my last two and also worked while getting up at night.... also this made my kids happy and content and actually slept longer in the morning....

by the way i sometimes have to give my 3 year old a drink of milk during the night maybe once a month if she wakes and wants it i give.......... whatever is easiest for me...... and having a baby crying for something simple like food is not an issue for me because i feed them before the get really awake.....
I would stick with the 3am feed too. its very normal. smile

Hi everyone,

So I've probably created a rod for my own back by doing a 3 am feed with my 8month DD. She has never slept through so I thought it's time to ween her out of this phase. I figured there should be no reason for her to wake up around 3 for a bottle other than for a comfort feed. She's well fed in the evening and always willing to go to sleep between 7-730.

So for the last few nights I have let her cry it out. First night woke once 10 mins then back to sleep. Second night woke twice first occasion 10 mins second occasion 15 mins (had to tend to her as she was a bit upset). Third night woke twice again but cried for around 15-20 mins each time.

Am I doing the right thing by letting her cry it out?

I have heard it from many mums that have said it worked for them. I just feel awful having to resort to this.

my dd is 8.5 months and still wakes up 1-2 times a night and i feed her. my health care nurse said to do the same though i dont want to do that as what if they really are hungry...? i will feed her until she grows out of it which im sure she will.. just my opinion, hope you figure it out

ummmm just want to point out something here

she has been asleep for 8 hours when she wakes at 3am they can't tell the time they are just hungry. do you have something to eat or drink before bed....... i do about 10pm and also drink water through the night. say i go to bed about 10pm i could be up again at 6.30am and i am hungry, and it prob been 8 hours since i last ate.....just feed her if she goes back to sleep..... personally i don't care if i am feeding during the night..... they wake you feed they go to sleep easy really.....

I am fully breastfeeding and have done with my last two and also worked while getting up at night.... also this made my kids happy and content and actually slept longer in the morning....

by the way i sometimes have to give my 3 year old a drink of milk during the night maybe once a month if she wakes and wants it i give.......... whatever is easiest for me...... and having a baby crying for something simple like food is not an issue for me because i feed them before the get really awake.....

Completely agree!! I'm a massive fan of doing whatever it takes to get them back to sleep the quickest, coz it means you do!! And, yes, on occasion I too have given my 2.5yr old a drink of milk overnight too smile I really think it's completely normal smile

Sign in to follow this topic