Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Why is there so much pressure on babies

Why is there so much pressure on babies Lock Rss

As the topic says smile

I've seen so many threads around and spoken with people in real life that want to know how to make their young baby sleep through the night... Why is it such a high expectation from alot of parents that their child will do this from a couple of weeks or months old??!!

Yeah in an ideal world all babies would sleep through from day dot but that just doesn't happen for most babies. Who cares if they wake up once or twice a night for a bottle lol or if they just want a cuddle? When I was pregnant with my first I never once expected that i would get 12hrs sleep a night or even 8hrs, that just seems silly to me when you have this little person to look after who knows nothing of the world yet!

Sometimes I wake up for a drink during the night or because I'm uncomfortable or because I had a bad dream, why would it be any different for a baby?!

Anyways, that's my thoughts for this afternoon grin grin

ETA: This is most definately not directed at anyone on here or in particular! Just something I've been thinking about of late given that I only have 5wks til my next baby is due!!

As the topic says smile

I've seen so many threads around and spoken with people in real life that want to know how to make their young baby sleep through the night... Why is it such a high expectation from alot of parents that their child will do this from a couple of weeks or months old??!!

Yeah in an ideal world all babies would sleep through from day dot but that just doesn't happen for most babies. Who cares if they wake up once or twice a night for a bottle lol or if they just want a cuddle? When I was pregnant with my first I never once expected that i would get 12hrs sleep a night or even 8hrs, that just seems silly to me when you have this little person to look after who knows nothing of the world yet!

Sometimes I wake up for a drink during the night or because I'm uncomfortable or because I had a bad dream, why would it be any different for a baby?!

I dunno...perhaps it's because in the 'olden' days, baby sleeping through the night was the 'perfect' goal to strive for to ensure you had the 'perfect' baby and were a 'perfect' mother....I didn't care how many times they woke as newborns, I was just grateful if they slept more than 2 hours at a time so I could get at least a bit of a block of shuteye myself. And BF boobies can't take more than a few hours to start with anyway! I used to wake up HOPING the kids would wake so I could ease the bursting pain lol.

As the topic says smile

Agree!!! Annoys me even more when others suggest to change their eating habits. So, a breast fed baby MUST be underfed, so switch it to formula, OR, a formula fed baby MUST be hungry, so give solids!!!! Best to expect the worst, sneak in a nap while they are napping, and any long stretches that may occur are a bonus.

Eve75

Agree!!! Annoys me even more when others suggest to change their eating habits. So, a breast fed baby MUST be underfed, so switch it to formula, OR, a formula fed baby MUST be hungry, so give solids!!!! Best to expect the worst, sneak in a nap while they are napping, and any long stretches that may occur are a bonus.

I agree!

I think some people dont realize how much sleep deprivation is involved in having a child. Babies are just that - BABIES! They wake during the night, some dont sleep at all! It all comes with the package im afraid!

so true!

Ditto!

My friend who just became a first time mum kept annoying me with..

"oh i hope he sleeps through soon,all teh playgroup babies are"

" when did Mia sleep thru?" "Is Mason Sleeping thru yet?"

I kept nicely saying that every baby was different but ended up just banging my head agaisnt the wall!

As the topic says smile

ETA: This is most definately not directed at anyone on here or in particular! Just something I've been thinking about of late given that I only have 5wks til my next baby is due!!

Could not agree more!! Also not directed at anyone but It makes me sad when people talk about cutting out the dream feed when the babies are still babies! My DD woke up every night until she was 2 for a milk, I had no issue with getting up and giving it to her! Yet I have friends with bubs quite young who are only offering dummy or water through the night so that they learn its not worth waking up?? Just doesnt seem right to me! But I'm no professional perhaps I did it the wrong way?!
my 9 year old wakes up some nights for a drink and comes and tells me what he is doing lol....

I can't make it through the night without going toilet.... the only one who sleeps through the night is the 3 year old and my husband..... who slepted thru a lot of things.

I say in our house if they wake feed them.....
lol i wish they did lol

ds1 was 18mths we did cc was preg with no2
ds2 was about 20mths we did cc was preg with no3
ds3 will be 3 in march and still wakes on average 3-5 times a night for up to an hour each time... and im preg with no 4... hope he learns soon lol.. cc doesn't work for him as he has allergies and excema which is what keeps him awake

sleep deprivation was the driving force behind my wanting DD to sleep through the night. but she didnt do that until 18 months of age so i guess my expectations for a full nights sleep didnt start until she was close to 6 months old and even then, it was a long way off!!!
There is this book series. Raising kids Gods way.lol And seriously by 8 weeks they expect that your baby is sleeping through and if they aren't you aren't the best parent.lol As you are letting the child control you. LOL

In my church there were about 10 parents that did this. I didn't as I dont like to hear my bubs cry. But mine took till they were 10 months old to sleep through and they looked perky I looked ***.lol

Maybe they were right and I was wrong.

Getting to the point.lol I dont understand the pressure. Also I sometimes had some special moment with my kids at night. smile

There is this book series. Raising kids Gods way.lol And seriously by 8 weeks they expect that your baby is sleeping through and if they aren't you aren't the best parent.lol As you are letting the child control you. LOL

In my church there were about 10 parents that did this. I didn't as I dont like to hear my bubs cry. But mine took till they were 10 months old to sleep through and they looked perky I looked ***.lol

Maybe they were right and I was wrong.

Getting to the point.lol I dont understand the pressure. Also I sometimes had some special moment with my kids at night. smile

I was about to come back and say pretty much this lol I had some of the best moments with DD in the middle of the night. I might of looked like hell and been funny to watch some days getting through but I got to spend extra time with the little person I love to bits!!! So worth it!
Sign in to follow this topic