Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Why is there so much pressure on babies

Why is there so much pressure on babies Lock Rss

It frustrates me no end hearing people complain that their babies don't sleep through the night but that is probably because dd2 starting sleeping through most nights about when dd2 was born and dd2 is 16months and still gets up 2-3 times a night sometimes for lenghty times and dd1 now wakes up at least once for toilet if not more. So i have no sympathy for them maybe i will when i get sleep but nahhh probably not LOL
And what's everyone's definition of sleeping through? I have a good friend who was recently telling our group of friends how wonderful it was that her 6 week old ds was sleeping through. She considered 11pm to 3.30-4am as sleeping through. Whereas I consider it to be more like the same hours I would like to sleep.

My ds didn't sleep through till he was 6 or 7 months (7pm to 6am) and I considered myself lucky. Some of my friends have 4 year olds who still don't sleep though.

Petal, NSW, Mini Cooper 10.3.07

A 6 hr stretch is "sleeping thru" for a babe smile

A 6 hr stretch is "sleeping thru" for a babe smile

That's what i thought! DS1 and DS2 slept through from 10/12pm - 6am, and I classed that as sleeping through. My mum said DS2 would be a terrible sleeper/baby because DS1 was perfect, sleeping that is and he barely cried. So i braced myself. But DS2 was just as great. Although he did cry alot lol

I honestly could not imagin waking up 2/3 times a night now that the boys are older, i know so many mum's do it, and I take my hat off to you's.
personally i looked forward to the sleeping through the night (not just the 6 hour block of sleep but 7pm to 6am kind of thing) because i don't deal well on broken sleep! of course i knew that i would have to put up with it beforehand, but i never said i would enjoy it lol!!!

DS1 didn't sleep through (to my definition) til 8.5 months. DS2 started at 12 weeks and i was absolutely thrilled with that! but i never really did anything to encourage it, it just happened, so obviously they were naturally ready.

unfortunately DS2 is now going through a stage where he decides to poo in the middle of the night and then wont go back to sleep without a bottle. so i am back to getting up once a night again, then he gets up for the day at 5.30am. bugger.

And what's everyone's definition of sleeping through? I have a good friend who was recently telling our group of friends how wonderful it was that her 6 week old ds was sleeping through. She considered 11pm to 3.30-4am as sleeping through. Whereas I consider it to be more like the same hours I would like to sleep.

My ds didn't sleep through till he was 6 or 7 months (7pm to 6am) and I considered myself lucky. Some of my friends have 4 year olds who still don't sleep though.

My definition of sleeping through was not waking up between the hours of 12 and 6 am, so a 6 hour stretch smile Had she slept say 9-3 I would of been stoked with it but wouldnt of classed it as sleeping through lol
I find it funny that people rate your parenting skills on how well your kids sleep yet DD1 woke up at least twice a night until she was over 1 and DD2 was sleeping 10+ hours a night from 5 weeks. I didn't do anything terribly different with DD2 they are just very different kids.
I seem to get the impression that when people ask you if you have a 'good baby' it translates to do they sleep well?

Babies are so different and often dont sleep for a number of reasons. DS was a colic and reflux baby who never consistently slept all night until 15 months occassionally I'd get the odd sleep through before that. DD was very settled and slept through from 8 weeks. Same upbringing just different kids.

I think some of these parenting books have a lot to answer for, new mums expect the book to be right and their baby should be doing what the books say. All they do is cause new mums lots of stress which is not good when you are sleep deprived!
Well if 'sleeping through' is an indicator of how good a parent you are then I must really suck!! LOL

DS2 is 19mths old and I can count on both hands how many times he's slept longer then 2-3hrs at a time. DS2 has a heart condition which he's on medication for to control and one of it's side effects (in DS2's case) is that he doesn't sleep well. He can be so tired and cranky but even if he only has a 20min nap he's bright eyed and bushy-tailed and ready to go again sad...which is NOT good during the middle of the night when I've just gotten back into bed for the umpteenth time sad

The only time I get more then 2-3hrs sleep (and that's broken sleep...every single night) at a time is if DS2 isn't home....some days I drop the DS's at Daycare, then come home & crash for a few hours just to be able to function.

Honestly, after 19mths of constant broken sleep I'm starting to go nutty...and there's no use waking DF to get up to him cos he's worse than a bear with a sore head if he doesn't get 8-9hrs sleep each night. It's easier to drag my tired arse around with matchsticks holding my eyes open than listen to him bitching and whinging cos he's sooooooooooooooooooooo tired...WTF???

I'd be ecstatic if DS2 slept for 4-5hrs during the night and in one block would be even better!! I totally understand why sleep deprivation is used as a torture method.........it's murder!!

As to the original question.....all my 4 were demand fed so I was always up when they were hungry but the other 3 have always been good sleepers right from a few weeks old......DS2 can't help being a nightowl, and the nights when his heart is causing him pain are usually sleepless for the both of us or very restless at the least, but I was never worried with the restless nights with the others as it was all part and parcel of having babies smile and I loved those late night/early morning cuddles that are solely mummy & bub time (still do actually) but a non-sleeper for 19mths is really knocking me around.....doesn't help that I'm older either and the body is screaming for sleep LOL

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

i have never met anyone who associated being a good mother with sleeping through the night. people ask how is she sleeping etc imo as a conversation starter and cos we all know what it is like to have sleepless nights.

to answer the op, i dont know. i think it is natural as a mother to WANT to sleep a good sretch during the night. what they want and what they get is too different things though. generally, i think we all accept the lack of sleep in the end.

when bubs is hitting the 12 month stage and not sleeping through, i can understand mothers who would try and 'help' bubs to do so.
The ONLY person/people who can tell you if you are/have been a great mother is your kids when they are old enough to look after and support themselves!!! I can honestly look back and tell my mum that she is the BEST MOTHER IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! Yes she smacked me when i was naughty (and deserved it!) but she was also present, front and center, in every single thing i ever did in my life including giving birth to DS. I think people that worry about what other people (other then their kids) think of them really need to just let it go and concentrate on the most important things in life - YOUR FAMILY!!!!!!
My children are dreadful sleepers from day 1. DD starting sleeping through at 2 and half the night we got home from hospital with DS. DS is just as bad as she was. DD on average would wake up 10 times a night to feed until she was 1. Im going absolutely batty after 3 years of broken sleep. To answer your original question after DD being a bad sleeper i hoped DS would be a better sleeps sleeping even 6 hours would be fantastic. I think it's the sleep deprivation it really gets to you.
Sign in to follow this topic