Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Baby not self settling

Baby not self settling Rss

My 7 week old daughter will not self settle during the day. She shows all signs she's tired but I'll put her in her bassinet and she'll just cry and cry. I'll pick her up and cuddle her, sometimes putting her in the front pack. She'll go to sleep after some rocking then as soon as I put her back in the bassinet she crys again. She sleeps fine at night, just not during the day/evening.
Any suggestions?
hey,is this your first baby?? i had the same problem with my son when he was that age... was fantastic at night, but would not sleep during the day. It got me so frustrated and depressed - i thought my baby was broken because everyone kept telling me that he should be up for an hour, then sleep for two hours... I decided that i was trying to fit a round peg into a square hole - and gave up. I just carried him around in the front pack, or took him for walks in the pram - i know its hard, because you don't get to nap during the day and you get exhausted, but just take it one day at a time! there is nothing wrong with letting baby cry - as long as baby is safe! it will get better! i think by about 12 weeks my son was having two day sleeps - for about 2 hours each, and sleeping thru the night by 16 weeks. just do what feels right for you smile
My DD wouldn't self settle during the day either. She was pretty good at night and would only get up the once for a feed.

I had to spend a couple of days with her really working in it, I made sure she was showing tired signs, but not overtired. Making sure that her room was darkened, quiet and not too hot or cold. I then put her to bed at regular intervals and patted her to sleep. It was hard, and there was a lot of screaming and crying. But she got the hint and started to self settle.

Most babies don't know how to self settle naturally. Teaching them is tough, so be prepared for a few rough days. Occasionally I resorted to pushing her in a pram though too!

My 7 week old daughter will not self settle during the day. She shows all signs she's tired but I'll put her in her bassinet and she'll just cry and cry. I'll pick her up and cuddle her, sometimes putting her in the front pack. She'll go to sleep after some rocking then as soon as I put her back in the bassinet she crys again. She sleeps fine at night, just not during the day/evening.
Any suggestions?

Self settling for a newborn is a load of codswallop! I fell for it to with my first and persisted for 2 months - to absolutely no avail, I followed those damn books to the letter and my DD wasnt having a bar of it. What I've since learnt is that its what babies do - they are so tiny and want you close, to be rocked and soothed and they sleep in 40 minute bursts, not these two hour blocks that the books will tell you.

I didnt bother with self settling after that, when my babies were newborn and up to six months I rocked them to sleep during the day. At night they'd have a feed and go off to sleep no drama. At around six months they were happy to go off to sleep by themselves.

There's nothing wrong with your baby, or you - its normal, rock them, cuddle them, do whatever you need to smile You need to find the rythym of awake time and sleep time that works for your bub, for mine it was only ever 40 min naps during the day and they progressed to an hour and a half x 2 sleeps at around 6 months.
You can't really expect a 7 week old to self settle. I had the same issues with day sleeps with my first too. The best thing for day sleeps for him was to lie down on my bed with him, wrapped/swaddled and rock a little while holding a hand on him. Once he was asleep I could slow and then stop the rocking but would stay for a bit longer to make sure he was in a deep sleep before I moved away from him. Once day sleeps became part of his pattern it was easier to transition to bassinet/cot and just rock for a bit then put him down while still rocking/patting until he was in a deep sleep. Enjoy those newborn cuddles while you can smile
I still have this issue with DS (10 weeks) but I have found if I am making sure he isn't over tired he does self settle, but will only sleep for about an hour at a time.

I have also tried the routines in Save Our Sleep (Tizzie Hall), but have found that it doesn't really fit in with my activities with DD and my DS wants to feed a lot more often than her routines, so I find it hard to follow, as I'm not going to make my baby wait an hour to feed!!

Good luck though!!! I'm sure DS will settle down soon!
I wouldn't be expecting a tiny 7 week old baby to be "self settling".... At 7 weeks old my DD was falling asleep on the breast and being rocked/patted to sleep. I think the thing to remember is that at 7 weeks old - your baby still hasnt even realised that they are a seperate person from you so being away from you causes them stress & anxiety. Like PP said - enjoy it while it lasts!!! Make sure bubs isnt up for more than an hour so they arnt over tired though! goodluck!!
I agree with many of the others. Don't stress at this early age - they are too little to just leave them to self-settle as all they want is to be warm and close to your body. My baby started self-settling at 3 months and I really wish I appreciated that time when he used to just sleep on me. It doesn't last long - enjoy it and your baby will get there in their own time.
We all want that quick fix especially when your exhausted. I agree with 3 girls. My DD was unsettled during the day from about 4- 12 weeks. 40min day naps requiring rocking cuddling or carrying. 4-6 hourly during the night. I searched for solutions tried everything. I just ended up a frustrated exhausted confused mess. I cried cause I just couldn't make it better. My DH eventually snapped me out of it. I just accepted that this how she is at the moment and I was doing everything right. I got plenty of rest and managed as good as I could. One day as if someone flicked a switch she just started having long day naps times 3...yay!
Hang in there. Stay away from the text books and remind yourself that your doing fine. Things get better.

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

DS is 11 weeks and prefers to sleep in the stroller during the day for some reason. Its just parked in a corner and we dont rock it, just pop him in and he crashes - think he just likes hearing us around him.

Settles no problems in bed at night.

We use a dummy and have a FisherPrice fishtank on side of cot that all children have had turned on since birth at bedtime (plays music for bout 5 mins). This seems to help get them into sleep mode, and its nice and portable (if we go away we hang it on to travel cot).

Luckily mine have always settled fairly easily - full tummy, clean bum, wrapped, dummy, and popped into bed - sometimes need us to go in a few times to pop dummy back in, but soon crash off
DS is 11 weeks and prefers to sleep in the stroller during the day for some reason. Its just parked in a corner and we dont rock it, just pop him in and he crashes - think he just likes hearing us around him.

Settles no problems in bed at night.

We use a dummy and have a FisherPrice fishtank on side of cot that all children have had turned on since birth at bedtime (plays music for bout 5 mins). This seems to help get them into sleep mode, and its nice and portable (if we go away we hang it on to travel cot).

Luckily mine have always settled fairly easily - full tummy, clean bum, wrapped, dummy, and popped into bed - sometimes need us to go in a few times to pop dummy back in, but soon crash off
Thanks for the help. She is still very unsettled but I've found if I push her around in the pushchair she eventually drops off - if only for about 1/2 hour!
Sign in to follow this topic