Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Baby only sleeps one sleep cycle during the days and won't resettle

Baby only sleeps one sleep cycle during the days and won't resettle Lock Rss

My 12 week old baby will only sleep for one sleep cycle (40 mins) during the day then is awake. It means she is up and down all day cause she won't just sleep for say 2 hours at a time. We are trying a save our sleep routine but it's hard when she won't sleep the suggested times.
Good Morning, does she sleep through the night? My DD is now 5 months and i have never been able to get her to sleep for more than one sleep cycle, rare occasion her morning sleep may be 1.5 hour. Rarely. She has slept through from 5 weeks of age though during the night. Does she wake up cranky? It may be all the sleep needed. My mother tells me i was the same until six months and then started sleeping for two long sleeps during the day.. Waiting for it as it can be very draining. i try to cram so much into the 45 min, end up exausting myself.. Im sorry i dont have any advice for you except you are not alone. I tried so many things, had some luck about 12 weeks if i went to her bed side around when she stirs and tried to pat,rock and shh as she started to stir but mostly would look at me with a big smile"what are you doing mummy?, im ready to play" so we just resigned ourself to the fact that she is not a day sleeper and while ever she is happy healthy, and sleeping through the night i try not to worry. i have her on the sleep, feed, play, settle routine and she is happy. Just does not want to sleep... I hope you find the answers you are looking for...
My bubs is now 5 months. She rarely sleeps during the day. I only get about 3-5 cat naps during the day (15-30min) but she sleeps during the night, min 7 hours. Tried to change the routine as they promote more sleep during the day. This failed big time. I managed to get her to sleep 3 x 1-2hour naps a day and then she was up every 2 hours at night. We went straight back to old routine of the 15-30min cat naps and a long sleep at night.
At about 9 weeks she started to sleep the min 7 hours at night but before that she would only cat nap during the day and during the night she was up every 2 hours. From birth she has never had long naps during the day.
If bubs is sleeping during the night I wouldn't push longer day sleeps if it isn't working.
Honestly we don't have a set routine so when she starts rubbing her eyes or get grouchy then I put her to sleep. I have tried routines and they haven't worked and the only routine we have is at night for her night sleep, she tend to rub her eyes around the same time. Honestly I think each baby is different so what works for one mightn't work for the other.

Good luck and remember do what works for you, I am sick of hearing mums say oooh this is wrong you should do this or that.
Just remember you are not alone and that there is no such thing as a perfect baby!!!
Just remember you are not alone and that there is no such thing as a perfect baby!!!
[/quote]

Agree. Although some people would have you believe otherwise!!

My 12 week old baby will only sleep for one sleep cycle (40 mins) during the day then is awake. It means she is up and down all day cause she won't just sleep for say 2 hours at a time. We are trying a save our sleep routine but it's hard when she won't sleep the suggested times.

Hi

I found Save our Sleep routines absolute rubbish!!! As every day with a baby will be different try Baby Bliss by Jo Ryan her routines ar emore realistic and flexible and lets baby sleep for as long as she wants cuase nothing worse then waking a sleeping baby if you let them sleep until they are ready to feed/play/sleep you will find your baby will be more happier after wkaing up.

Also for a 12 weeks old baby they can only handle and hour and half to 2 hours awake so make sure you look for those tired signs and wind her down for a nap/sleep pronto!!! Baby Bliss also has a re settling techniques if your baby wakes up after one sleep cycle which is usually patting bubs arm until they go back down to sleep good luck x

Thanks for everyone's comments. She sleeps well at night. She goes to bed at 7pm then we "dreamfeed" her at 10.30pm. She will then sleep through till about 4am when she wakes for a feed then goes back down till anywhere between 7-830am. Its just during the day that is the problem and sometimes i cant get her to even take a nap in the afternoons making the stretch till bedtime a teary one!
Sign in to follow this topic