Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Settling a Silent Reflux baby to sleep

Settling a Silent Reflux baby to sleep Lock Rss

Hi All

My DD # 2 has been diagnosed with Silent Reflux and the Pediatrician has put her on Losec we are in the 3 day and slowly are seeing results.

Its just that I wind her down for a sleep then when she is drowsy I put her in her bassinette with her dummuy and she is nice and calm then within a few minutes she is wide awake making noises for a few minutes then gets upset and arches her back from the Reflux

My Question is do I wait until her Reflux has calmed right down until I even attempt to try a Sleep Settling Routine?

Your poor DD - silent reflux is awful.

wait until her reflux is under control with the medication, when you lie her down she shouldnt be in pain from the reflux coming up. If you think she is in pain still or you notice she becomes unsettled this is due to the dose needing to be increased or she may have had a growth spurt so also needs an increased dose.

you may also have sleep issues as she may now associate lying down with reflux pain even if the meds have it under control. you can try elevating her bassinet or cot - put a phone book under each leg of the cot at the end where her head is. seeing a chiro may also help. Make sure she doesnt get too upset as this can cause silent reflux, you may have noticed at times when you pick her up you will hear it come up then she will swallow it again.

we had a lot of sleep problems from silent reflux and in the end had to go to a sleep school to get it all sorted out.

Your poor DD - silent reflux is awful.

wait until her reflux is under control with the medication, when you lie her down she shouldnt be in pain from the reflux coming up. If you think she is in pain still or you notice she becomes unsettled this is due to the dose needing to be increased or she may have had a growth spurt so also needs an increased dose.

you may also have sleep issues as she may now associate lying down with reflux pain even if the meds have it under control. you can try elevating her bassinet or cot - put a phone book under each leg of the cot at the end where her head is. seeing a chiro may also help. Make sure she doesnt get too upset as this can cause silent reflux, you may have noticed at times when you pick her up you will hear it come up then she will swallow it again.

we had a lot of sleep problems from silent reflux and in the end had to go to a sleep school to get it all sorted out.

Thanks for the Reply smile

I have heard Losec can take 2 weeks to sink in and start to show real good results so I have to be patient.

Her basinette mattress is elevated but a friend from NSW is sending me over a baby wedge to use so I am hoping this will help also

We are going to a Chiro tomorrow down the road so I am also hoping that will give some good results for my DD.

If I see her refluxing that is back arching or her crying and grimacing or I hear a cough/choke noise etc I pick her up straight away and usually then i hear heaps of gulps so I know she is refluxing an dlet her sleep on me upright just hope this baby wedge, meds & chiro help her out poor little gem sad

Hopefully you have some luck with the wedge and chiro smile

If the Losec doesnt seem to help then ask if the dose can be increased. My DS was on Zoton which is similar and it is much better if you can get it made up as a medicine rather than crushing up the tablets yourself. Im pretty sure it's the same for Losec going off what friends have said. You will need to have this done at a compounding chemist as not all chemists do this. The Zoton tasted awful so the chemist would flavour it too.

Have you got family to help? My DS would only sleep 2 hours a night and be up all night screaming so I would often go to family who would hold him upright during the day and he'd sleep while I would have a sleep, they'd just wake me up to bf him. I know a lot of ppl give up bf if they have a reflux bub but dont feel pressured to if you dont want to. I had ppl say give DS some formula at night to make him sleep, I tried twice and it didnt help him at all, actually caused him more pain.

One other thing I found which is quite common is that reflux bubs want to feed constantly! They find it soothing but then it causes more reflux. I found that once the meds kicked in then DS would feed 2 or 3 hourly rather than all day.

If you end up with sleep problems, definitely go to a sleep school, we went to one called ngala and they were great - they deal with reflux bubs all the time. Best thing we ever did as we came home with a baby that slept smile
Hi there,
My poor little girl had silent reflux and was un diagnosed until 4 months old. we persisted with lots of little sleeps until I could no longer function myself from lack of sleep.
we began on a omeprazole suspension (Losec) which def helped. I also cut out any wind producing foods that may have passed through breast milk. unfortunatley it meant my food intake was reduced. we were also including Marino mix which is a natural product based on pepermint. this was advised by our Paediatrician also.
An inclined cot and feeding bub with lots of burping in between. it meant a feed could easily last over and hour.
my saving grace was at 5 months old I had 3 bowen treatments on her and it seemed to really help in conjunction with the medication. If you are looking for a bowen therapist, ask if they work with infants and ask at mum's groups or online to seek out a reputable therapist.
Oh I feel for you so much and I wish you all the best. silent reflux affects the whole family, but it will and does improve. Good Luck
Her losec is made into the liquid for her to have since her chiro this afternoon she has been more settled after feeds especially the night feeds she hasn't had a reflux episode and even her gas/burping is passing quicker

Sign in to follow this topic