Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 3.5 mth old moving around cot & rolling in Grobag

3.5 mth old moving around cot & rolling in Grobag Lock Rss

My baby is 3.5 months old and has been sleeping in a Grobag since she was about 8 weeks old as she hated being swaddled. She has recently started going on nighttime travels around her cot and is usually in a completely different place each time I check the monitor screen.
In the last few days she has also started rolling onto her side when she's sleeping and sometimes turns her head and squishes her face into the mattress when she's going to sleep...which is freaking me out, to say the least!
She isn't rolling onto her tummy in her sleep (yet), but I thought Grobags were supposed to prevent babies moving around too much and rolling. Has anyone else experienced this using sleepbags?
Also, is it safe for a baby this young to be sleeping on her side and if she has her face down on the mattress, will she be able to move her head away if she's asleep?
Her cot has no toys or blankets in and the sheet is tight across the mattress, so is as safe as I can make it.
Yep!!! Painful isn't it!!!

I have started using two rolled up small blankets on either side of him to prevent him from rolling, it doesn't stop him from moving up and down the cot though!!! DS started rolling at 3.5wks, and both ways from 8wks. I am sure your LO has good head control so will be able to "call out" if they get stuck, don't panic too much.
I went through this as well - kept me up all night worrying! DD is a major wriggler, and was never wrapped - she hated it with a passion. She has always slept in a sleeping bag and started rolling at about 8 weeks. I'd wake up to her lying face down in her cot. All of my friends said, if she's strong enough to get there she is strong enough to get back/control her head etc. We ended up using a sleep positioner, which definitely worked for a while, until she worked out how to get out of it, but by that time I was a lot more comfortable with her strength. (I Wouldn't use the rolled up blankets, that's a SIDS risk - get the proper sleep positioners).
Now at 8 months she sleeps on her tummy with her bum sticking up on the air. She still wriggles all over the place but as time goes by you stop worrying about it.
My daughter started rolling onto her tummy at 4 months and once she figured it out that was the end of back sleeping. I was constantly worried about her sleeping on her tummy at such a young age. I called the sids foundation for advice, they said keep checking her and rolling her back over... but after one night of her literally rolling back about 30 times I just realised that she wasn't sleeping and neither was I, so I had to simply trust that she was strong enough and well enough to handle it.

Most sids babies are found with blankets, pillows etc over their face. We are advised to not tummy sleep them as it is a prone position. However, if your bub is strong enough to put themself there, they are also strong enough to lift their head and maintain own airway. All you can do is minimise every other risk - so no blankets, stuffed toys, cot bumpers, no smoking in the house, keep the room temp comfortable. Sids foundation told me not to use a sleep positioner as it just gets in the way and poses smothering risk (but each parent needs to make their own decision about things like that).

It's very stressful... but at 8 months my daughter is still a tummy sleeper. I think the grobags are excellent because I know she can't smother herself with it and keeping a blanket on a mobile baby is near impossible anyway.

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sids foundation told me not to use a sleep positioner as it just gets in the way and poses smothering risk (but each parent needs to make their own decision about things like that).

THat's a good point actually- SIDS don't endorse sleep positioners. I personally watched her in it for a bit and felt comfortable with it, and a much better option than rolled up blankets. There is apparently another style of them, called a Safe T Sleeper or something (someone correct me!). Which is supposed to be a big elastic strap that wraps around their tummy and then goes under the mattress. Might be another option if you decide to look into those sorts of things.

Yep!!! Painful isn't it!!!

I have started using two rolled up small blankets on either side of him to prevent him from rolling, it doesn't stop him from moving up and down the cot though!!! DS started rolling at 3.5wks, and both ways from 8wks. I am sure your LO has good head control so will be able to "call out" if they get stuck, don't panic too much.

My gosh rolling at 3.5 weeks I bet that has kept you on your toes!
Thanks for all your replies.
Well, since I wrote my first post, my baby has begun rolling onto her tummy as soon as she's put down, but can't roll herself back again! She usually wriggles around on her tummy for a minute or so and then gets really cross and frustrated because she's stuck (sometimes her leg is actually stuck in the cot rail) so I have to go in and roll her onto her back...and she immediately rolls onto her front and cries again...and so on...
When I put her to bed tonight, she did the same thing a few times and then actually went to sleep on her tummy, but with her face squashed down in the mattress, so I couldn't risk just leaving her to sleep like that, so rolled her on her back. She's now asleep on her back - finally!
Now I'm worried that she'll roll over asleep on her front in the night and not be able to roll back again and I won't know as she won't cry out - aargh!!! I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew she could roll back by herself, I guess I'll just be checking the monitor screen constantly and not sleeping until she can!
She does have good head control, but its the fact that she seems to push her face into the bed when she's on her tummy, rather than turn her head to the side that worries me the most.
I have thought about a sleep wedge or Safe T Sleep, but I'm not sure how well they would work with such a wriggly baby.
Sign in to follow this topic